ArcGIS Server 10.9.1 Backup - Export operation failed. null

Jump to solution
01-20-2023 07:06 AM
mgress12
Occasional Contributor

When attempting to backup an ArcGIS Server 10.9.1 site using the backup utility the following error is returned.

• Export operation failed. null

The same error is returned when attempting to export the site through ArcGIS Server Administrator.  

Setting logs to debug there is a java.lang.NullPointerException but I don't see anything else to help diagnose.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help troubleshoot?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
mgress12
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the info! Process Monitor along with the debug logs helped narrow this down to a permissions issue on one of the directory locations.

MaryJ4
by
New Contributor

Hi Chris, 

What if the logs during debug is not during the copy method.Could there be other reasons why one could get the export error with Null?

---Mary J

0 Kudos
lah
by
Regular Contributor

To hopefully help any others with this issue:

We also had this exact error running webgisdr on our 10.9.1 environment (failing on server). A manual ExportSite for server produced the same thing. We confirmed the account used had explicit, full-control permissions to all the necessary directories. We also ran every available patch and rebooted the server, to no avail. 

Following this support article for a similar, but not exact error, led us to take a look at the jobs folder, which was full of a bunch of old, inactive jobs. I created a new, empty jobs folder, and the utility ran successfully. 

User35488
Occasional Contributor

Below steps fixed the issue for me.

1. Log into the machine hosting the ArcGIS Server jobs
2. Navigate to,C:\arcgisserver\config-store\system\jobs
3. Remove the inactive job.

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/error-export-operation-failed-name-is-null-000012918

Environment: ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1, Windows

MBReither
Occasional Contributor

Here is an Esri Technical Support note that better explains the issue and the solution:

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/export-operation-failed-name-is-null-1462483994480-000...

0 Kudos