ArcGIS Server 10.7.1: How the number of requests is calculated?

09-17-2020 10:28 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Server 10.7.1: How the number of requests is calculated?

I couldn’t figure out how the number of requests is calculated. For example, how the following actions are translated in terms of request:

A user who is panning the map

A user who is downloading a service

A user who is editing a service

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
5 Replies
ArchitSrivastava
Occasional Contributor II

Hello Jamal NUMAN‌,

As per my understanding, It shows "Total requests" i.e. "Total number of requests made by a client to a service for a given time frame.". Which means it will include all the information which you have mentioned above:

• A user who is panning the map
  • A user who is downloading a service
  • A user who is editing a service

Any transaction which is being performed between Server and Client. For more details you can go through the following document:

Work with server statistics—ArcGIS Server | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

Hope this answers your queries!

Thanks & Regards,

Archit

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Archit for the input.

Unfortunately, there is no precise definition for the request in the document. For example, what is the number of requests that is equivalent to performing “zoom in”?

Jamal Numan
ArchitSrivastava

Hello Jamal NUMAN‌,

Thanks for the response. As per my understanding,  I believe it will only calculate the request which are being sent. For e.g. Let's assume I launched a Map Service in "ArcGIS JavaScript Viewer" from Rest API and it sent 4 requests to load/render the data.

Then if I zoom in further and it sent out 5 more requests to load the new data. Now, if I zoom out to previous extent, the browser already has the data Cached, so it will not be sending the requests to the Server and the total number of request should be 9. Obviously, the consideration would be that I am not changing the extent in the whole hypothetical process.

I tried to capture this with a service from Sample Server 6 (GIF attached), you will notice that first rendering sends a request and then when I zoom in again, it sends a requests to fetch the data but if I zoom-out, it doesn't send a new request as the browser already has that information.

Steps to render

This is actually managed by "Etags", to elaborate more about this property below documentation should help:

Improve map service display performance—ArcGIS Server | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

Hope it helps!

Thanks & Regards,

Archit

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Archit.

Which App do you use to display the requests?

Jamal Numan
ArchitSrivastava

Hello Jamal NUMAN‌,

I used Chrome Developer tools to display the request. Apologies for late response.