Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Server 10.3 failed to cache

04-10-2015 10:24 AM
ChenLiang
New Contributor II

Hi all,

We installed an ArcGIS Server site on 3 machines as gis servers within one cluster. The map service itself seems working very well and responsively. But when we tried to create the cache by right-clicking the service in ArcCatalog --> service properties --> caching, a very generic error popped up saying "unspecified error".

cache_error1.png

I checked the server log but couldn't figure out any cause. Below are error (SEVERE) messages.

Error executing tool.: ERROR 999999: Error executing function. Failed to execute (Create Map Cache). System/CachingTools.GPServer  20010     GPServerSync.CheckMessages

Method failed.HRESULT = 0x80070057 : The parameter is incorrect. . Test/Facilities.MapServer  100005 0.03462    MapServer.GetTileImageInfo

Method failed.HRESULT = 0x80070057 : The parameter is incorrect. . Test/Facilities.MapServer  100005 0.01498    MapServer.GetTileCacheInfo

After dismissing the error window, I went into the service properties and saw the Adv cache tab is shown but with empty scale values. No folder was created in the cache folder on the server.

cache_error2a.png

cache_error2b.png

Also it takes awfully a long time (like 2 minutes) to get the service properties window to show up. Is that normal?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
JamesMonty1
New Contributor III

Rebecca,

I did end up submitting a report. It would be nice to include your original case number if you do not mind.

I cannot replicate the issue with the few map services I have published; it only seems to occur with image services so far.

James

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Case 01587142 created 12/2/14, closed 12/11/14....I sent follow-up email re still having the error with 10.3.0 on 12/16/14, but never heard back.   My analyst, before it was close, was Jonathan Q.

Let me know if you  need any other info, and if they create a bug, make sure they add me to the NIM as having the same problem.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
JamesMonty1
New Contributor III

Rebecca (and others who may run into this issue):

The folks at esri were able to recreate this in version 10.3.1 and have marked it as a bug: BUG-000087886. The agent I worked with is not sure why your original report was not marked as a bug last December. I wasn't able to add you to it for notification, yet.

James

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Thanks James.  I can try to follow up now too since I have the bug number.  I figured it (my case) just got lost in the holiday time frame, and since I had a "me: doctor, it hurts when I do this.......doctor: don't do that" workaround, it probably wasn't a high priority. 

Thanks for following thru on this!

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Does this bug mean that a cached mapservice using an image service as a datasource that is created in AGS v10.2.x will not work in AGS v10.3.x?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

No, if I recall, it had to do with the "Advanced" tab.  Caches in previous versions tend to to work in newer versions without issues.....but not necessarily the other way around.  This of course assumes that you have the folder name set up correctly for the new service.

0 Kudos