ArcGIS Server 10.2.2 log files

08-04-2015 08:36 AM
SharonZastre
New Contributor III

Hello,

I upgraded to ArcGIS 10.2.2 approx. 9 months ago and since then I have noticed that the C drive on my ArcGIS Server machines continuously grows.  With ArcGIS Server installed on the C drive, I am assuming that there are server log files that are causing this drive to fill up.  After using a free scanner (GetFolderSize), it looks like the biggest culprit for growing in size is:

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\runtime\jre\bin\log.

Is there a way to either move all log files associated with ArcGIS Server to a different drive (without uninstalling and reinstalling Server) or manipulate log settings so that the log file size will truncate?  Also, how much space should be allocated for ArcGIS Server?

Thanks in advance for any help and ideas,

Sharon

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hi Sharon,

I also have 10.2.2 and looking at that log directory I only have 3 small files:

Based on the directory name, it seems to be associated with the Java (?) Runtime. ...do you happen to have some custom apps that may cause issues??  Maybe something from previous versions that you carried forward?  If so, maybe you can look into whether those are creating the logs.  Also, have you opened and looked at any of the logs?  I would probably start there.

BTW - The actual ArcGIS Server error logs usually go "C:\arcgisserver\logs\<machine-name>\errorreports" and you can control how much it logs using ArcGIS Server Manager....also, easiest to view those logs thru Manager.

0 Kudos
SharonZastre
New Contributor III

I also have only those 3 files and while right now that are not too big (118kb, 6809kb, 1kb), they seem to fluctuate.  Over the last week I have moved the C:\arcgisserver\logs to a different drive so I'm hoping that will help.

I had the ERG tools working on ArcGIS 10.0 but I have not been able to get them working on 10.2.2, and there isn't a huge need for it.  I will try removing any traces of the ERG tool to see if that will help.  Thanks for the tip Rebecca!

0 Kudos
SharonZastre
New Contributor III

From the Server logs, there is a SEVERE entry that is repeated multiple times, I'm assuming one from each service whenever it is accessed.  I don't seem to have any problems accessing the sites/services although sometimes I will need to log in multiple times.  Any ideas as to what is causing this error and how to fix it?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If I do a browser search on  "java.rmi.unmarshalexception"   (I had to include the quotes or it tried to find a server), there are many documents that come up.  You may want to see if any of those are related to what you are seeing.  But if not, I would recommend contacting tech support for this.

edit:   a search of      "java.rmi.unmarshalexception" arcgis

may give you a more filtered list.

0 Kudos