ArcGIS Pro 2.4.2: Publishing mosaic that is stored in long folder path generates services with checkerboard,

12-26-2019 03:55 AM
MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah
Occasional Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro 2.4.2: Publishing mosaic that is stored in long folder path generates services with checkerboard,

We observed that publishing mosaic that is stored in long folder path generates services with checkerboard.

Is this a bug or by design?

In our case:
if a mosaic is stored in the folder path below, then when publishing it, a checkerboard is generated

D:\Orthophotos\Imageries\Orthophoto_GazaStrip_2004_Satellite_100cm\Orthophoto_GazaStrip_2004_Satellite_100cm_jpg_Palestine1923GridCassiniClarke.gdb

If the same mosaic is stored in the folder path below, then it is published correctly

D:\OrthophotosImageries\Orthophoto_GazaStrip_2004_Satellite_100cm\Orthophoto_GazaStrip_2004_Satellite_100cm_jpg_Palestine1923GridCassiniClarke.gdb

What could be the issue here?

6 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

What was the path to the RMD as well as the overviews when publishing failed?

How do you have the paths registered with the AGS Data Store?

MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah

The Path for the overviews is the same as the gdb:

D:\Orthophotos\Imageries\Orthophoto_GazaStrip_2004_Satellite_100cm\Orthophoto_GazaStrip_2004_Satellite_100cm_jpg_Palestine1923GridCassiniClarke.Overviews

How do you have the paths registered with the AGS Data Store?

We registered the 😧 folder

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I use a unc path to a shared drive on my network.

Do you have 1 folder named Orthophotos and another folder named OrthophotosImageries on your D-drive?  If not, it's weird how that path seems to get auto-concatenated.

If you publish the same RMD from ArcMap, does the path with just Orthophotos work as expected?

MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah

Thank you for your reply, I tried to use a unc path and got the same results, too.

Do you have 1 folder named Orthophotos and another folder named OrthophotosImageries on your D-drive?  If not, it's weird how that path seems to get auto-concatenated.

When I got the error, there was only one folder (orthophotos).

If you publish the same RMD from ArcMap, does the path with just Orthophotos work as expected?

When it comes to Arcmap, the checkerboard appears while using the build over views (before publishing), and the issue disappeared when changing the path length.

Do you have any idea?

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I'm just guessing, but maybe you can try shortening imageries to imagery.  If that still fails, then try changing the I to another letter and see if that works.

The first test could determine if the length of the data source path is the problem and the second test could possibly determine if you are using a reserved word that AGS does not like.  At the least you can show ESRI tech support that you have already went down several trouble shooting paths.

Have you looked at the AGS Manager Logs to see if it provides any clues to errors that are occurring?

MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah

Thank you Michael, as I mentioned

"If the same mosaic is stored in the folder path below, then it is published correctly

D:\OrthophotosImageries\Orthophoto_GazaStrip_2004_Satellite_100cm\Orthophoto_GazaStrip_2004_Satellite_100cm_jpg_Palestine1923GridCassiniClarke.gdb"

"We got the answer below from our support, but we don't know if this is true, we need someone from esri to confirm this:

"This is a windows limitation relate, your server connection path exceeds the operating system path limit
as you mentioned in your email that when you reduced the number of characters all works with you well.
long paths are not recommended at all in the international standards. try not using long paths.
as mentioned earlier this is not esri related but it is operating system limitations, sorry there is nothing else can be done here except reducing the number of digits by using shorter paths."
What do you think?