Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Feature Services (Referenced) and Caching Property

09-15-2023 07:34 AM
LanceKirby2
Occasional Contributor II

I am running ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 with a federated server and portal and an enterprise geodatabase. My enterprise is running on a Windows 2019 server using IIS. I have a map/feature service that references data from the enterprise geodatabase and is updated daily. I am looking to increase the performance of that service and was looking into caching at the browser level like in a web map or experience builder application. The two docs below discuss enabling a cache duration through server admin for a feature or map image service, but I can't seem to get this to work. I am adding these properties, but when I look in dev tools within my application using this service (like a web map) I see a new request being sent each time and a cache-control:  max-age=00:00:00 property on the features returned. I looked at both the map image and feature service layer after setting this property.

When I try to find more information on caching services, everything is related to tile caches which is not really what I am after. I would very much appreciate if anyone could shed some light on this for me and I'm tagging a couple of people here @PaulBarker @JacobBoyle412  @JonathanQuinn @RandallWilliams @JamesBallard1 @Nicholas-Furness 

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/publish-services/windows/feature-services-and-client-...

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/publish-services/windows/improve-map-service-display-...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

When you say "I am looking to increase the performance of that service...." what are you looking for?

What is the current experience with the service that is sub-optimal?

Is ArcGIS Enterprise deployed on a single machine?

Where is the Enterprise geodatabase in reference to the ArcGIS Enterprise deployment?

These are a few questions that I would have to start with.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
LanceKirby2
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for the reply @George_Thompson. Basically there is a larger application with many services. I am trying to increase performance on the app as a whole and have several services that I see a good opportunity of caching. They are constantly requested, but don't change often. Obviously they might be better suited as a vector tile service, but what I'm really after is discovering what I'm missing in the documentation. 

By themself, the performance is fine. Just to follow up with answers to the rest of your questions. ArcGIS Enterprise is deployed across multiple servers all running Windows OS. Portal/Datastore one machine, hosting ArcGIS Server one machine, db one machine.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

Ah, ok. Thanks for that additional information which provides some clarity.

Given this is experienced in the app, I will defer to others on this part.

--- George T.
0 Kudos