ArcGIS fails to update the parent version according to the last edited child version,

01-27-2017 12:44 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS fails to update according to the last edited version,

For example, in the screenshot below, a feature is firstly moved by Peter version, then by Sami and then by Ali. I was expecting that when applying the reconcile\post tool, then all versions (including the parent) will be updated according Ali’s version as it is the last edited version. This is not happening.

I observed that the ArcGIS respects the last child version created but not the last version edited when applying the reconcile\post tool. Am I correct?

Thank you

Best

Jamal

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
14 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

In the tool, look at the order of the Versions:

AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Hi Jamal - the tool as configured will ignore any conflicts (abort if conflicts detected is unchecked) and use the last version posted to the default version. So, in this case during the reconcile process there would have been conflicts between all edit versions, they were all ignored in favor of the edit versions. Then when the POST action occurred, all edit versions would push their edit, the last would be the final say. This tool should be used with caution. I would urge individual versions be reconciled/posted whenever possible, especially if editors are working in the same area.

-Adam Z

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thank you for the help.

I like the term you used Adam “the last would be the final say”. But the last what?

Please, have a look on the two screenshots below. Guess which edits will be transferred to the parent in this case? It should be Ahmad as it is the most recent CREATED version which is not necessarily the last EDITED version.

I was assuming that the changes of the last EDITED version must be pushed to the parent but not the ones of the last CREATED version.

Jamal Numan
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Hi Jamal - although I can not find supporting documentation, I believe the order would be based on the version_id. This comes from the SDE_versions table in the SDE schema. What you show above makes sense, as long as the order in which the versions show up in the SDE_versions table are the same as how they are processed.

Something like this:

Version ID/Version

4/ali

5/peter

6/sami

7/ahmad

-Adam

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I was expecting that all be updated according the last edited version.

In the screenshot below, the first edited version is Amjad’s while the last one is Ali’s. in this case, my expectation that all versions will be updated according ali’s version as it is the last EDITED one. However, the ArcMap will be updating all versions according Amjad’s version as it is the last CREATED one.

Is this how the ArcSDE designed? How does this make sense to update the data according the last CREATED version but not to respect the last EDITED one?

Jamal Numan
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Hi Jamal - you raise some very good questions. In workflows that I have implemented in the past we always had each editor save, reconcile and post their versions individually. I would think that if I had implemented the reconcile and post on all versions I would use the abort if conflicts are found so that I could review edits to the feature and make the best decision on which was right. In your example, all editors are editing the feature not knowing that the other editors are modifying that feature as well. The software can't make a decision on which is correct, so it defaults to reconciling and posting the versions in the order that they were created. If you want the last edit in to be the one that sticks, you could have all editors use the same version.

-Adam Z

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

thanks Adam.

What I wanted is to still work with versions but to be able to update the data according the last edited version but not depending on the last created. I understand that this might be challenging but that is the rules I wanted to work with.

Best

Jamal

Jamal Numan
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Having all your editors work in the same version would achieve that. Last edit is going to persist. When there are multiple edit versions the last created version will rule when using the batch reconcile tool. You could maintain your workflow, but choose to abort if conflicts are found...then go check each of the versions to see which you want to keep. Automated when no conflicts are found, manual but the results you want when conflicts are found.

-Adam Z

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thank you very much Adam for the prompt help. The valuable scenario you have suggested can form a good solution for what I’m looking for

Best

Jamal

Jamal Numan