ArcGIS Enterprise Base Deployment: install both web adaptors on the same web server?

Jump to solution
08-26-2019 04:22 PM
SH013
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi there,

I understand that in an ArcGIS Enterprise Base deployment, we will require two ArcGIS Web Adaptors – one to traffic our Portal for ArcGIS and one for traffic to the hosted (federated) ArcGIS Server site. I have gone through some of the documentations online, and cannot seem to confirm my understanding on this. The question I am looking to answer here is to determine whether or not we should be installing the two ArcGIS web adaptors on the same web server or on a separate web servers. This is going to be a multi-machine deployment where the software components will be installed on two or more machines.

From my understanding, it appears to me that multiple web adaptors can be installed on the same machine at long as their names are different. On the other hand, these web adaptors can also be installed on separate machines. However, I can’t seem to understand the need to deploy these web adaptors on separate web servers.

If naming is not an issue, then is it corect to say that we can proceed with installing both web adaptors for Portal for ArcGIS and Hosted ArcGIS Server site on the same web server (this will not be a problem as we plan to name the web adaptor for the Portal for ArcGIS with portal and the hosted federated ArcGIS Site with webgis).

Looking forward to sort out this confusions.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AngusHooper1
Occasional Contributor III

You are correct, you can have both web adaptors on the same server but they need to have unique names. The most common web adaptor name tends to be 'arcgis' as per the online help. When two web adaptors are on the same web server then it tends to be 'portal' and 'server' to easily differentiate.

You could also use the webadaptor name to highlight the solution name or capability component if that suits your goals, e.g. 'govmap' for public facing local govt maps. That way, when users connect to it, they type a URL which makes sense, e.g. the web adaptor for the image server is called imagery. I would suggest webgis could be improved as webgis tends to be a catch-all term for a web enabled GIS and not just an ArcGIS Server.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AngusHooper1
Occasional Contributor III

You are correct, you can have both web adaptors on the same server but they need to have unique names. The most common web adaptor name tends to be 'arcgis' as per the online help. When two web adaptors are on the same web server then it tends to be 'portal' and 'server' to easily differentiate.

You could also use the webadaptor name to highlight the solution name or capability component if that suits your goals, e.g. 'govmap' for public facing local govt maps. That way, when users connect to it, they type a URL which makes sense, e.g. the web adaptor for the image server is called imagery. I would suggest webgis could be improved as webgis tends to be a catch-all term for a web enabled GIS and not just an ArcGIS Server.

ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

We have one server that's just for web adaptors and is located in our DMZ for better security. The server has 3 web adaptors installed on it with unique names that point to (1) our Portal installation, (2) the Portal's hosting server, and (3) an unfederated ArcGIS Server.

ClintonBallandis1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

We have 3 web adaptors on the same server in the DMZ. The first for our Portal (named 'arcgis' as per default however, if I was to do a fresh install I would probably name it portal as this is more intuitive) . The second is for our hosting ArcGIS Server (named 'server') and the third is for and ArcGIS Server with an imagery role (named 'imagery').

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Clinton

SH013
by
Occasional Contributor

Thank you all for the confirmation. I was already thinking about putting all three arcgis web adaptors (one for portal, one for hosted ArcGIS Server Site, and one for stand alone ArcGIS Server site) on the same web server, but just didn't have the confidence to confirm it. If anything, I did struggle to understand why you would put each arcgis web adaptor on a separate web server instead.  

0 Kudos