ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1 AWS Deployment Gotchas?

09-18-2019 02:56 PM
JenniferDooley1
New Contributor II

Hi All,

We are considering deploying 10.7.1 Enterprise in the cloud, using Amazon Web Services.  We're looking at installing and configuring all components (ArcGIS Server, Portal, Data Store, Web Adaptors) in AWS, while keeping the server hosting our SDE geodatabase on-premise.  Does anyone have any words of caution doing this?  Our main concern at this time is performance.  Should we consider keeping certain components of Enterprise on-premise and others in AWS, or is a fully cloud-hosted deployment the way to go?

Thanks in advance!

Jennifer

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanielCota
New Contributor II

Take a look at the following doc...

Geodatabases on Amazon Web Services—ArcGIS Enterprise on AWS | ArcGIS Enterprise 

The first "Note" that you see explains a reverse situation that what you described, but conceptually I think it will be the same. Given that AWS deployments entail hosting the applications/clients on Amazon servers in a specific region, your on premise database may or may not cause slowed performance, even if it does fall within the same region.

By the way, I want to say it is NOT supported to distribute the Enterprise deployment between on premise and in the cloud. If it is, then it's probably highly not recommended. Let's say your server is on premise and the Portal is on AWS, I would imagine federating the two would lead to a slew of concerns or issues once security configurations come into play. For this reason, I think it would be better to have everything on one platform.

Hope this helps!

-Daniel