ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1 Single Machine Deployment

Jump to solution
07-20-2017 01:10 PM
ChristopherMcClain
Occasional Contributor II

I am considering a Single Machine deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise base deployment with Imagery Server on a single machine for a small to mid sized public water & sewer authority.  Current projections call for about 25 users roughly half and half viewers/editors.  I had originally allotted capacity for a single ArcGIS Server machine and second machine to run my SDE GDB.  Since these are both VMs I am hoping to consolidate the resources into a single machine and deploy all the components on it.  If this isn't possible I will need to request additional resources from IT.

My first questions is single machine deployment feasible?

Second question is can I scale out by adding hardware at a later date or am I married to a single machine deployment?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

A single machine will typically be fine.  Since you're using VM's, you can always increase the RAM or CPU on the machine as needed.

In terms of scaling out, you'll just need to move the config-store and directories to a shared location and then update the admin URL used for federation within the Sharing API of Portal.  Then, join your additional machines to the existing site.  We plan on documenting how to do this for users who want to move from single machine deployments to multi-machine deployments or HA.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I think the single-machine deployment is exactly what this is meant for

What is the ArcGIS Enterprise Builder?—Installation Guides (10.5) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

So, yes, it should be feasible and possible.  I think by default is will federate, but I think you can un-federate before you do anything else, if so desired (we don't plan on federating for a number of reasons....ie $ for name users at this time).

I think you can always spread it out in the future, but you may have to uninstall and manually reinstall some of the components and then get them to talk to each other again.  That is, I don't think moving will work (i.e. not a rubber band move).  But that is just my interpretation.

Also, from Can you upgrade a current Server installation with the Enterprise Builder?  if you use the Builder now, you wiull be able to upgrade using the same for 10.6....as long as you do not split it out to multiple machines (i.e. you have the same structure).

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

A single machine will typically be fine.  Since you're using VM's, you can always increase the RAM or CPU on the machine as needed.

In terms of scaling out, you'll just need to move the config-store and directories to a shared location and then update the admin URL used for federation within the Sharing API of Portal.  Then, join your additional machines to the existing site.  We plan on documenting how to do this for users who want to move from single machine deployments to multi-machine deployments or HA.