ArcGIS Desktop does not create cache in new format

01-17-2016 04:29 PM
MarkChilcott
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Peoples,

I note in the What’s New in 10.3 that ArcGIS Server creates a compact cache in an improved format.  This was achieved by including the tile index information (.bundlx files) inside the .bundle files.

So … when I use the

Data Management Tools > Tile Cache > Mange Tile Cache Tool to build a cache from an MXD, I was surprised to see the format is the old cache format, as opposed to the new cache format.

Why is this so?

When can we expect to see the ArcGIS Desktop cache tools create a cache in the new format?

One can also see this in the conf.xml file associated with the cache:

This is when a cache is created in ArcGIS Server:

<StorageFormat>esriMapCacheStorageModeCompactV2</StorageFormat>

This is from the cache created in Desktop:

<StorageFormat>esriMapCacheStorageModeCompact</StorageFormat>

I suppose this leads to other questions.

Should there be a flag in ArcGIS Server to choose the cache format?

PS:  I note Exporting a cache using the Export Map Server Cache tool will continue to use the previous compact cache storage format which does not include the performance improvements noted above.

I also note:

"The improved compact cache storage format is always expected to be associated with a service."

Maybe this is by design?

Cheers,

Mark

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I haven't had any issues getting 10.3 to create the new compact format.  A few things to check..

• Are both the ArcGIS Server and the Desktop version you are using to create the services both 10.3.x?
  • are you using an older config.xml file? I would recommend recreating or editing a copy for the new format.
  • are you trying to append or update an existing 10.2 compact cache?

if either of the last two, you may need to update the cache.  See more on the format

Inside the compact cache storage format—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

although the new format does reduce the number of files, and therefore disk space (but in my opinion, not to the magnitude the initial roll out of the first compact format, keep in mind

The improved compact cache storage format is not backwards compatible with earlier versions of ArcGIS. For example, a compact cache created or upgraded using version 10.3 or later cannot be transferred and consumed in an earlier version of the software. The improved compact cache storage format is always expected to be associated with a service.

What this translates to, for me, is that my users that are still on 10.2.2 will no longer be able to access the cache directly, as a layer folder, outside of the service. So for now, our shop is sticking to the 10.2.2 compact versions (until everyone decides to update to 10.3.x. The convenience of the 10.2.x compact cache is I can send a copy of the complete cache to an office with a slow connection and they can use it directly in Desktop.

0 Kudos
MarkChilcott

Hi Rebecca,

If I use ArcSDE Server to create a cache - that would be the new cache format.

The tool I am using though is the data management tool - thus it is not related to Server.  Is purely an mxd and the tile cache tool [Not the server cache tool].

This tool appears to create the 10.2.2 cache.

I agree with your comments in relation to the 10.2.2 cache format and compatibility.  All our server caches are currently in the 10.2.2 format, even though we are running 10.3 server.

It does make it more difficult when we create skeleton cache services, and have not as yet looked at the full implications of moving to the 10.3 format.

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Sorry about that Mark...talking about the what's new and being in the Server thread, I was assuming you were having issues with the creation using Server.   I haven't used the create tiles thru Desktop much, so I just assumed they were the same.

My guess is that is a question for the Esri developers to answer, or wait to see if it is available in 10.4 when it is released.

0 Kudos
MarkChilcott

Hi Rebecca,

I assumed they were the same as well ... maybe not.

Is all related to server as well, so I was interested in your experiences.

One of the reasons we use this method is to create tile cache from mosaic datasets that reference our .ecw images.  We can create a cache using this method.  You cannot server a mosaic that references an .ecw through server unless you pay heaps of  $$$ for the additional license.

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hi Mark,

I don't deal with .ecw images currently, but we are receiving new imagery for the state which covers a large extent (which you can probably relate to?).  Creating mosaics and creating caches from imagery services with ArcGIS has been great for us.  The tests creating the caches as map services, vs creating them from mosaic databases as imagery services was such a significant time saving for us, that I was able to get approval for the "heaps". 

My initial tests compared our previous standard 10 scale levels, from 1:16,000,000 to 1:24,000 which as a map service cache took about 8 weeks (24/7). In comparison, with the data as a (reference) mosaic and image services, I was able to add 3or 4 new scales (down to 1:5000) and complete the caching in about 10 days.   As mentioned, that was as a test.  I'm working in the real cache now (although will be away for a week), and was able to do the cache at 1:63,360 of the entire state in about 2 hours. At least in my opinion, the time savings made me happy I was able to get the approval for the extension.

That, and being able to do other things like serving up the data into different projections, with or without caching, that should be a great savings too.  I'm pretty new to the whole mosaic datasets and Image service world, so still getting my feet wet and do not know everything that is possible for us yet.

With that said, I totally understand needing/wanting to go the Desktop caching tool route (i.e. $$$) when it comes to using the mosaic datasets which is what is the key to both processes I think. I didn't really know that it was even possible until about a year ago, and I think that tool is still pretty new and that may be why it isn't as fully developed as the ArcGIS Server tool set, whether intentional (to pay for the development of the new format, which as a company, they do need to be able to do) or because it is done by a different product team, or technology isn't there.  I do remember reading about it not being available in Pro at all yet.

Here's a thought, if you still really want to use the new compact format.....do you have access to ArcGIS Server without the image server extension? How about creating the cache with the Desktop toolset, then importing the cache into a new service and converting/upgrading it?  I think the cache files themselves should be able to be used between the two methods ??  My guess...you would have to just test it out.