Anyone used ansible instead of chef?

11-21-2017 06:45 AM
AlisonGaiser1
Occasional Contributor

GIS resides in our IT shop and we are looking standardizing with ansible for our application deployments. Knowing that Esri has created a number of cookbooks for chef we are wondering if anyone has tried to convert them to playbooks? If so, what kind of effort was involved? Is it best just to start from scratch? 

If there are any esri staff out there, do you know if there are any plans to release playbooks or is Esri married to chef?

Thanks!

Alison 

Tags (1)
11 Replies
JimSomerville1
New Contributor II

We have not, but are considering it.  Have you started down this path?

0 Kudos
AlisonGaiser1
Occasional Contributor

Jim,

We have started down this path testing with ansible. As we are in a windows environment the developer is finding that the chef tools seem a lot simpler than ansible. Otherwise we are making progress. If you would like I can provide a bit of a review in about a month or so?

Alison 

0 Kudos
JimSomerville1
New Contributor II

That would be great, thanks!

0 Kudos
Carl_Flint
New Contributor III

Alison,

Has your developer made any headway with Ansible?  I too am looking at starting down that path. 

FYI with the windows environment it appears that Chef uses mingw (linux) on its back end.  So realistically a linux virtual machine on windows machine could serve the same purposes as the intermediary to Ansible.  Also Windows 10 has the ability to turn on a hidden Ubuntu sub system (WSL) and can also be used to run Ansible via a bash shell on windows.

Carl Flint, GISP
0 Kudos
AlisonGaiser1
Occasional Contributor

We have made some small steps on this front. The first was to use ansible to roll out a patch to ArcGIS Server machines. You are correct in that Chef has been installed on a linux box. There have been some challenges with connecting to the Windows server where the commands are executed. 

The developer is going to be doing a short lunch and learn next week, so I should be able to provide more information at that time. 

Alison 

0 Kudos
MichaelSchoelen
Occasional Contributor III

Has there been any progress on Ansible deployment for ArcGIS Enterprise? I love Chef, but Ansible is becoming more popular--I'd rather not have to set up a new configuration management tool for clients who don't have Chef.

Ansible overtakes Chef and Puppet as the top cloud configuration management tool - TechRepublic 

0 Kudos
JonathanEpstein
New Contributor III

Does anyone have any initial Ansible playbooks which install ArcGIS, to share?

We run ArcGIS in a SELinux (secured RedHat) environment.    Chef is explicitly not supported in SELinux.    We also have considerable in-house Ansible experience, and no in-house Chef experience.

We are glad to participate in this effort, but prefer not to start reinventing wheels which others have already started working on.

0 Kudos
mbishopp
New Contributor

Does anyone from Esri have something to say about Ansible vs Chef?  We are a solid Ansible shop, so Chef would be an additional "thing" to maintain.  We would rather do all of this in Ansible.

0 Kudos
JonathanEpstein
New Contributor III

I don't work for Esri, but we did wind up writing Ansible playbooks which in turn run the Chef cookbooks.   Overall this combination works well.

0 Kudos