Select to view content in your preferred language

Another "Failure to access the DBMS server."

04-05-2016 09:49 AM
PaulHuffman
Occasional Contributor III

I have new hardware running  SQL Server 2012 R2 and I'm trying to create my first Enterprise geodatabase on it but all I can get back using the two client machines I have running Desktop 10.3.1 and SQL Native Client is "Failure to access the DBMS server"  Don't understand this because I didn't have this problem with my install at a different location a couple months ago, and I just completed the instructor led course Deploying and Maintaining a Multiuser Geodatabase earlier this week.

My DBA set up the new servers as virtual servers on the same unit.  From my DBA I got:

NSQL 192.168.3.222

Administrator: *********

SQL Server instance MSSQLSERVER

sa: *********

NSMAP 192.168.3.223

Administrator: ************

But when I try to create my first geodatabase, I get Failure to access the DBMS server. If the SQL Native Communications driver were missing, or wrong, I think I would get a different error message,  something about communication to the SQL server. (How does one tell if the SQL Native client is installed on a client PC? Don't see it in Data Sources.)  I wondered if Windows firewall was blocking, but I turned off public and private firewall temporarily on the client NSMAP and the SQL Server NSSQL, no change. Also tried the trick to modify the host file on the client machine to resolve the SQL host name, no change.

I pulled the Create Enterprise Geodatadata tool results into a python window to make it easier to repeat iterations with minor changes. But it also makes it easy to copy and paste my attempt as text.

>>>

arcpy.CreateEnterpriseGeodatabase_management(database_platform="SQL_Server",

instance_name="MSSQLSERVER", database_name="Orthos", account_authentication="DATABASE_AUTH", database_admin="sa", database_admin_password="**********", sde_schema="SDE_SCHEMA", gdb_admin_name="sde", gdb_admin_password="sde", tablespace_name="", authorization_file="C:/Program Files

(x86)/ESRI/License10.3/sysgen/keycodes")

Runtime error Traceback (most recent call last): File "<string>",

line 1, in <module> File "c:\program files

(x86)\arcgis\desktop10.3\arcpy\arcpy\management.py", line 4857, in

CreateEnterpriseGeodatabase raise e ExecuteError: Failure to access

the DBMS server Failed to execute (CreateEnterpriseGeodatabase).

Maybe my DBA or I have made a typo. But this has me wondering now does the db account sde need to be created first? How does the RDMS know that the sde account has a password of sde?  Or is there something wrong with my network topology.  I can't ping the SQL server from my Desktop or from the neighboring server NSMAP, but I can Remote Desktop to both NSQL and NSMAP.  

42 Replies
PaulHuffman

Yes, should have listened to you. But why didn't my test of turning windows firewall off for incoming and outgoing correct the problem?

0 Kudos
JohnBrockwell

Any ArcGIS product crack open those ports!

Ports used by ArcGIS Server—Installation Guides (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

Step one make sure communication can flow. You only turned off windows firewall for known ports. MSSQL still needs the port established and opened. I create the rule and call it SDE.

SDE.png

0 Kudos
RickGeittmann
Occasional Contributor II

John,

So if I am tracking what you are saying is when a connection issue comes up even though the installation routine for the Arc Server platform opens some ports up - you are saying to specifically open a designated port for MSSQL to communicate over correct?

0 Kudos