Add Map Service with ArcCatalog

Jump to solution
07-13-2017 10:39 AM
LisaT
by
Occasional Contributor III

We are in the process of upgrading from 10.0 to 10.5 (I know, quite a jump!).  I have a seemingly simple question that I have yet to find an answer to:  how do I create a new map service from within ArcCatalog?  With 10.0 all I had to do was to right-click and I had the option to "Add New Service".  I do not see that option, or anything like it, in 10.5.  I have connected to the Server and registered the database in the DataStore. I can publish the service in the Server Manager.  However, I find the Server Manager a bit cludgy in the way that you add and edit the services (I need different values than default for pooling and isolation).  If I can manage everything from ArcCatalog in the same manner as with 10.0, that would be great!  Please let me know if this is possible.

Also, in 10.0 it was important to chose the network name (\\myserver) as opposed to the mapped path (H:\) when selecting an msd.  10.5 is throwing me off because I will select my network name and .sd and the "Path" shown in the General tab shows the "H:\" drive and the .mxd!!  I still have testing to do, but I need to be able to auto-create layers and create a kml from the Javascript API, which with 10.0 requires the network name to display the map service, and the map service must be pointed to the msd.  Please provide any insight on how I need to set this up!

I also can't figure out how to change the isolation settings in 10.5.  In 10.0 I could change high isolation to low isolation on the "processes" tab of the map service.  Isolation settings are no longer there.  Any ideas?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Lisa,

Use File>Share As>Share as a service.

There is no longer a high/low isolation option. All services are high isolation.

Finally, the .sd (service definition) is copied up to the GIS Server at publish time, so the location of the .sd doesn't matter.  You can reference the data in place by registering a folder or DB with the GIS server, or copy data up to the server. There's an option when publishing for that. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Lisa,

Use File>Share As>Share as a service.

There is no longer a high/low isolation option. All services are high isolation.

Finally, the .sd (service definition) is copied up to the GIS Server at publish time, so the location of the .sd doesn't matter.  You can reference the data in place by registering a folder or DB with the GIS server, or copy data up to the server. There's an option when publishing for that. 

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

File>Share As>Service opens up ArcMap to publish the mapservice, so you might as well publish your service directly from ArcMap for a mapservice.

BrianHealer
New Contributor II

Hmmm, ok.  I just manage the Map Services so that I can consume them for our web interface and other projects.  I do not make the maps, so it doesn't make sense for me to open each one and publish it.  I want to have a full view of all of the services and their properties!  I guess I have to use the cludgy Server Manager way of doing it.  Not the answers I wanted, but I guess it is what it is!  Thank you!

0 Kudos
LisaT
by

Ok, I have already marked this as answered, but I found that I can set isolation to low if I publish from ArcMap.  There appears to be more options in ArcMap than in Server Manager! 

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Let's talk about that option. Why do you prefer low isolation?

0 Kudos
LisaT
by

ESRI helped us to set up our distributed system: Minimum instance is to be set at 0 for most of our services or else we end up with too many services running at any given time and it boggs down the machines.  In addition to that, we set up the pooling to allow for one service to serve multiple users instead of having a lot of extra processes running.  These particular services are all dynamic and primarily consumed with custom intranet websites.

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

OK, got it. Those are pooling properties, but aren't really related to isolation. I honestly can't think of a reason as to why an organization would use low isolation, given how relatively inexpensive it is to add memory to a machine. We actually recommend against low isolation in the doc.

http://server.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/publish-services/windows/tuning-and-configuring-services.h...

0 Kudos
LisaT
by

Sorry, to clarify: ESRI helped us to set up our 10.0 system.  I am migrating it to new servers for 10.5.  These options still seem relevant, though.  Even though computers have gotten faster, why would we choose for more processes to run?  I would like to hear your thoughts on it.  We are planning to use Portal moving forward, which may change things, and we also have regions all over the world and are planning to look at Cloud deployment.

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

You may have already gleaned this from the doc, but it basically comes down to service stability. When using low isolation, if one service crashes, then all services served by that container crash, causing availability issues. With high isolation, failures are...isolated to that one service in that one container, so the effects aren't as drastic.