Active Directory Sync Automatically Add to Portal

Jump to solution
03-02-2022 06:16 AM
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

We are running Enterprise 10.8.1 and using our Active Directory to manage member login credentials. Currently, when new city employees are onboarded and need access to GIS services, I will either use a csv or manually add the user using their city email as their login. Fine and dandy, but I am hoping to set up a sync between our Active Directory and our Portal roll where whenever a new employee is added to the Active Directory by our IT staff, they're automatically added as a Portal member. Is this possible? Does anyone know how to set that up if so? I have been unable to find any documentation on it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

Portal doesn't have functionality to continuously sync with Active Directory, but you can enable auto account creation so when new users go to login for the first time their account setup is handled by Portal itself instead of you uploading a csv of new users. This link details how to enable auto account creation.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

Portal doesn't have functionality to continuously sync with Active Directory, but you can enable auto account creation so when new users go to login for the first time their account setup is handled by Portal itself instead of you uploading a csv of new users. This link details how to enable auto account creation.

ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Oo, I will have to give that a try! Will this work if their first attempt to access portal content is through a web application, or does it need to be targeting the actual portal url?

0 Kudos
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

I would recommend going to the main Portal URL first, just to be sure.

0 Kudos
Amarz
by
Occasional Contributor II

@ReeseFacendini Does enabling Auto Account Creation only add an account if they have matching credentials inside the Active Directory? Or will this add anyone who stumbles across the web service?

EDIT: Yes! It works with accounts accredited through the Active Directory Identity Store. Answered through testing in my environment.

0 Kudos
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the heads up, this worked exactly like I wanted!

PS, targeting a link to a web app that is controlled by a Portal web map did in fact add the user to Portal, just as hoped. 

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

For AD group membership syncing I think portal only does that once a day at midnight.

0 Kudos