Active Directory Roles - Administrators

07-10-2012 10:34 AM
BrianLeroux
Occasional Contributor III
I am trying to set up my initial roles in 10.1 using an Active Directory role store. I logged in as the PSA and serched for a AD group that I am in and gave it Administrative rights. I log out of manager and try to log in with my domain account and get "You must enter an account that is a member of either the Administrator or Publisher roles for this site." I tried using domain\UserName with the same result. I also tried giving this role access to the entire site. Any Ideas why I can't log into manager using an AD Role?

Additional info:
ArcGIS Server 10.1, IIS 7, & Web Adaptor all installed on same server. I have the default services running and can set security on the services using Active Directory Roles.
0 Kudos
24 Replies
PF1
by
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Pat,

We have been using Windows Domain all along.. We did try switching to Build in which worked relatively faster, but we cannot use that security model on our Production Domain.

-Muneer

One solution you may consider - set the following configuration settings:

• User Store: Windows Domain

• Role Store: ArcGIS Built-in

then write some code to synchronize some AD groups to your ArcGIS built-in role store.  Therefore you would still obtain single signon and single user store (since they are in AD/Windows Domain). 

We have that setting and performance went from horrible to adequate.  Users do not need to maintain a separate user account since the user store is tied to Active Directory.  There is a little more overhead on our IT operations staff to maintain the role store in the ArcGIS Server (Built-in) but that extra maintenance is well worth the IT operations time since it saves so much performance gains on the ArcGIS server solution. 

This is speaking from a government agency where security is always at the forefront... 

HTH!
0 Kudos
CharlesRioux-Boucher1
New Contributor

Hi Patrick, 

Our enterprise might have to follow these configuration settings due to performance issues :

• User Store: Windows Domain
  • Role Store: ArcGIS Built-in

I'm taking a chance and asking you, five years later, if you still have the code your are using to synchronize AD groups to the ArcGIS built-in role store?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
rodickwillision
New Contributor
Hello,

Active Directory management services. This Software Quickly and very fast recovering the deleted Active Directory objects.
Active Directory tools have many features i explain some features :
1) User Management
ii) Active Directory query
iii) Exchange Administration
More details kindly read this blog : http://activedirectorymanagementsoftware.wordpress.com/2013/06/28/active-directory-management-to-han...
0 Kudos
BubbaHey
Occasional Contributor III
I  like Patrick's idea. Try it
0 Kudos
rodickwillision
New Contributor
Ok well

Thanks dear you can try it and more benefits.
0 Kudos