Why does Living Atlas layers in Portal 10.6 have a local url?

Jump to solution
04-06-2018 08:07 AM
MichaelTorbett
Occasional Contributor II

I configured my portal to allow Living Atlas subscriber content,. However when I go to add a living atlas layer to a web map, it's url is set to my local GIS server. Does this mean that the layer is static or is it still dynamic? see url below.

https://my_gis_server/portal/sharing/servers/6a2386abbddb403285ebafd753c00461/rest/services/US_Droug... 

Thanks,

Michael

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

That URL is acting as a proxy for any external content. Since that content requires a username and password, the username and password must be stored with the item to give you uninterrupted access to the item so an item is created that stores the credentials. The resulting URL is expected but again, is simply a proxy to the actual content. The workflow is similar to the one described below:

Connect to secure services—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

That URL is acting as a proxy for any external content. Since that content requires a username and password, the username and password must be stored with the item to give you uninterrupted access to the item so an item is created that stores the credentials. The resulting URL is expected but again, is simply a proxy to the actual content. The workflow is similar to the one described below:

Connect to secure services—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise 

MichaelTorbett
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you Jonathan!

That makes sense and I'm happy to know that the layer is still dynamic.

0 Kudos