When Publishing Vector Tile Services that references data why do I need an associated Map Service?

04-06-2022 10:37 AM
ahargreaves_FW
Occasional Contributor III

I'm following the guidelines in this documentation to author then publish a Pro map as a vector tile service which references:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/vector-tile-layer.htm

I'm happy to have an associated Feature Service alongside my Vector Tile Service. However, I'm struggling to understand why I am forced to also create an associated Map Service? What happens if I delete this Map Service? Can I not republish/overwrite my Vector Tile and Feature Services?

@SeanKMcGinnis ? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@ahargreaves_FW 

are you asking about this part of the doc?

If your active portal is an ArcGIS Enterprise portal and you want the vector tile to reference registered data sources, click Vector Tile under Reference registered data. A map image layer and web feature layer are automatically included when referencing registered data.

0 Kudos
ahargreaves_FW

@TanuHoque  correct...why am I forced into making that Map Image layer? I wish to only use Vector and Feature Services in my map, so why clutter my portal and burden my servers with it?

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks @ahargreaves_FW 

Please note, this is the case where we are talking about 'using data by reference off a registered database'. Since data don't get copied (and there is no need) in this case, the hosted feature service is not an option to begin with.

Now, the enterprise feature service that you are talking about is technically an extension of a map service. Therefore, a map service will always get created, and feature service extension gets enabled off it. When you don't have any editing workflow (which is case in here), there are no reasons for enabling feature service extension. That is extra.

Both map and feature service are on par when it comes to query functionalities. Added benefit with map service, as you know, is that now you should be able to use file geodatabase or other workspace type that are not supported by feature services in general.

Lastly and the most important point (as I was reminded by @GarimaTiwari) - map services are not burdening your server resources as they get published as shared instances.

Please let me know if you have any question. We hope you find this helpful.

0 Kudos
ahargreaves_FW

Thanks @TanuHoque 

My intent was to:

1. publish vector tile services of several layers of our data. 
  2. compile the vectors tile services into the basemap of a webmap and use this as a template for future webmaps.
  3. Using this template, individual vector tile layers can then be removed from the basemap and the equivalent (editable) feature service added as an operational layer.

Are you saying that, in this scenario, I should NOT publish the associated Feature Service with my (referenced) Vector tile service and rely on the Map Service for query capability? 

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@ahargreaves_FW 

Are you saying that, in this scenario, I should NOT publish the associated Feature Service with my (referenced) Vector tile service and rely on the Map Service for query capability?

I'm not an expert in vector tile/basemap workflow. Therefore I can't comment on your workflow.

I was simply trying to reply to your original query where you asked why a map service is needed instead of a feature service (as mentioned in the help), and you thought that would cause some unnecessary burden on your machine resources. I hope that I was able to state it clearly that it doesn't need any additional resources and puts no additional burdens on your machine compare to an enterprise feature service.

If your workflow requires editing capability via web app, then you have to have feature service. I didn't say you should not. I'm sorry if it came out that way.

In enterprise setup, as you know and I mentioned previously, a feature service is an extension of a map service. You can't have an enterprise feature service without a map service. Hosted feature services are different, as you know, they don't require map services but you need to publish it by copying data on your server managed data store.

0 Kudos