Way to change the pop-up order of overlapped points in Portal for ArcGIS

01-05-2017 12:27 PM
ShuhongYan
New Contributor III

For maps on ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Portal, is there any way to decide the display order of multiple completely overlapped points?

For example, two icons having the same Lat & Long in the same layer shown in the screenshots. It shows the point with UniqueID 684 is in the first pop-up window and the point with Unique ID 685 is in the second pop-up window, but the info in the second pop-up window is more useful for me. Is there any way to change the point with 685 to the first window (1 of 2) instead of (2 of 2) so that I don't need to tab through to get what I want?

What elements decide the pop-up order of overlapped points when esri designed the pop-up widget? The order of the data imported into the attribute table? The latest modified date of the data in the table? Or is the pop-up order decided just by random and there is no way to make a adjustment?

I tested the order of ObjectID, latest modified or uploaded date of the data but failed to find the common rule.

My former assumed logic is that pop up window of records with larger ObjectID or with the latest modified or uploaded date should be on the top.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Shuhong

14 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Shuhong,

> For maps on ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Portal, is there any way to decide the display order of multiple completely overlapped points?

No, there is no way to order the content returned in a pop-up in the ArcGIS Online/Portal for ArcGIS map viewer. The content returned is based on which data layer's content is retrieved first, so fastest data layer will appear first, then the next fastest, etc.

For overlapping data points within the SAME layer, I believe the pop-up content is returned based on object ID; so feature(s) with a lower OID will be returned first.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
ShuhongYan
New Contributor III

Hi Derek,

I had the same thought for the same layer that should be based on OBJECTID. I tested it. However, some features with a lower OID are on the top but some in other overlapped locations are on the bottom, which means OID is not the key field to decide the order of pop-up window of features.

DerekLaw

Hi Shuhong,

I haven't personally tested how features in the same data layer are retrieved.

Another consideration that may affect how features in the same layer are returned (and in what order) in the pop-up: is how the spatial indexes are built for the data layer. For example, a feature class in a geodatabase typically has a spatial index to help improve performance for spatial searches. Some background,

An overview of spatial indexes in the geodatabase—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

This might also be a factor for why some features are retrieved before others within a data layer.

Hope this helps,

NajyaBatool1
New Contributor II

Hi Derek,

It's been over a year now since your previous reply to this thread.  I also have the same question about pop-up order between multiple overlapping layers, as Shuhong.  Have there been any enhancements along these lines in Portal? 

Thanks,

Najya

DerekLaw

Hi Najya,

Regarding this question,

> I also have the same question about pop-up order between multiple overlapping layers, as Shuhong.  Have there been any enhancements along these lines in Portal?

There have been no changes to this behavior as far as I know. For future reference,

Hope this helps,

DakeHenderson
New Contributor III

Hi Najya,

I'd like to be able to control the pop-up order too.  I often want to show multiple features at the same location. For instance green energy projects on  farms, and farms with net zero energy status, would overlap. It would be nice to have the pop-up for the farm show first.  Did you find another way to present this type of data- maybe in an application?

Thanks,

Dake

Taku_RiverTlingit
New Contributor III

We'd like to do the same thing - control the order of the pop-ups of overlapping features (in the same feature layer), so the oldest ones are shown first, and the most recent ones are shown last. Has this functionality been added to ArcGIS Online at this point? Thanks.

DerekLaw

Hi Taku,

> ... control the order of the pop-ups of overlapping features (in the same feature layer), so the oldest ones are shown first, and the most recent ones are shown last. Has this functionality been added to ArcGIS Online at this point? 

No, the functionality of "controlling the data returned in the pop up" is not possible in ArcGIS Online. I suggest you add your requirements as comments to this idea and vote for this enhancement https://community.esri.com/ideas/6548, the label is different - but the overall intent of enabling more control on the pop up is the same.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
Thomas1
Occasional Contributor

@DerekLaw 10,5 years users are asking ESRI to solve the issue (https://community.esri.com/ideas/6548). How long do we have to wait?  

0 Kudos