View and edit roles

12-18-2016 03:12 AM
SibghatUllah1
Occasional Contributor

I am using portal for  Arcgis 10.4.1 and web app builder developer edition to build application.My application is ready but now i have to create two groups. one group have a view capability only and other can have edit capabilities in the same application. please guide.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Sibghat,

Info on how to create groups in Portal for ArcGIS: Create groups—Portal for ArcGIS (10.5) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Can you be more specific when you say "edit capabilities"? Do you mean edit the web app and change its configuration? or do you mean, being able to edit a feature service with the Edit widget in a web app?

If the latter workflow is desired, it might be easier just to deploy the same web app twice: one app with the Edit widget - where end users can edit features; the other app without the Edit widget - so end users would just be viewers. You simply provide the appropriate URL to the appropriate app for each group of end users.

Hope this helps,

SibghatUllah1
Occasional Contributor

I have build an application using arcgis web app builder which is using web map hosted on arcgis portal 10.4.1 and features layer from arcgis server.My web application contains editing/updating and viewing.I have added my arcgis web map service  to portal and share it with specific people in that group.Same i have added feature service with different group of people and then dded to my web map.To my understanding that Map services should not be visible to other groups?i have tried but this doesn't work.both layers are shown.:(

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Sibghat,

I'm still not clear on your workflow.

When you add an editable feature service to a web map, by default it is private. You have to explicitly share the web map and decide who can access it. When you share the web map, you will be prompted in the Portal for ArcGIS map viewer to also share any data layers it is referencing - either yes to share them all (taking the same sharing properties as the web map) or no sharing (in which case, when someone accesses the web map, they will not see any layers). Then you develop a web app with Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS, starting with the web map as input.

Does this help clarify the sharing workflow in Portal for ArcGIS?

0 Kudos
JayJohnson2
Occasional Contributor

Both the editing group and the viewing group normally have the ability to see a map service.  Only the editing group can change the map contents.

0 Kudos