Select to view content in your preferred language

Update point coordinates?

08-18-2010 02:21 PM
WilliamClark
Emerging Contributor
I have an easy question:
When point data lat/long is changed during an edit session in the attribute table or a new record is created, that only changes the properties of the attribute table.  How does one get the changes or additions reflected in the mapping environment?  I've spent a lot of time labelling and querying the file as is and don't want to edit the xls., Add XY...event layer...export etc. again.

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JohnSobetzer
Honored Contributor
I don't think in the basic install you can just press a button and have the points move.  You might export your dbf to a new one, add it back in and use the Add XY Data.

You might, depending on your work flow, add a temporary point using the Sketch tool - right click - Absolute XY, and then move your target point to it using snap, or if it is a new point attribute it after adding it,  and then when you are done delete the unattributed points and run the Add XY Coordinates tool to update the table.
0 Kudos
WilliamClark
Emerging Contributor
Yeah, that is what I thought but if there was something that made things easier I didn't want to miss it and figured I'd ask.  I have been using basically the method you describe.  Thanks.
0 Kudos