Unique values many fields Issues

Jump to solution
04-08-2014 05:28 AM
ralphholmes
New Contributor III
greetings,

I am trying to use the unique value many fields symbol and running into some issues,
the two fields that I am trying to symbolize are Anticipated Collection Date and Collected,

Collection data is a date field and the collected field is a short integer with a domain of 0,1 for No and Yes.

The default for both fields is <null> and 0
Currently the date field is filled with <null> but it can be any date from today into the future, I need the symbol of my points to be:

Red for <null>, 0
Yellow for <all other values>, 0
Green for <all other values>, 1

I have tried typing these exact things in manually with the add to list feature of add values which allow the cases to show up in the symbol editor and the TOC.

But as soon as I try to add a date to the Collection Date field the symbol vanishes from the map all together...

any help is appreciated
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I would never use a date field that is continually being updated to create unique symbology.  It would be worth it to me to create a new field called DATED which would be 0 by default and 1 if a date was filled in.  A saved field calculation could update this field by looking at the date field and if it is anything other than null it could make the field a 1 in case you did not update it at the same time as you entered the date.  The calculation can be set up to process every record even if you don't first select records that are out of synch with the new field.  The symbology for 0, 0 or 1, 0 or 1, 1 (and 0, 1 as well) would be simple to set up.

Far less work than continually adding new dates forever to the layer.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I would never use a date field that is continually being updated to create unique symbology.  It would be worth it to me to create a new field called DATED which would be 0 by default and 1 if a date was filled in.  A saved field calculation could update this field by looking at the date field and if it is anything other than null it could make the field a 1 in case you did not update it at the same time as you entered the date.  The calculation can be set up to process every record even if you don't first select records that are out of synch with the new field.  The symbology for 0, 0 or 1, 0 or 1, 1 (and 0, 1 as well) would be simple to set up.

Far less work than continually adding new dates forever to the layer.
ralphholmes
New Contributor III
I am currently using V 10.1,

I tried what sol suggested and it works insofar as allowing the feature to symbolize as yellow but it stays yellow even if the second field is updated to collected.

I was hoping to avoid adding a new field but that turned out to be the easiest way of doing what I wanted it just means that there is one more field that the field techs have to update.

It would be nice if you could in the future use the <all other values> tag in the way that I originally wanted.

Thank you both for your help.
0 Kudos
ralphholmes
New Contributor III
the data is in my agency sde so it was just simpler to have the admin add a field for me than wrestling with getting the date field to symbolie the way i described in my original post
0 Kudos