Symbolising part of a polygon

Jump to solution
03-13-2013 04:31 PM
AllisonHoskin-Kain
New Contributor III
Hi, 

I am looking for a way to part symbolise a polygon.  I am trying to show multiple information on a map with an operational grid.  What I would like to do is have the corner of the polygon symbolised with other information underneath to be seen.  I have had some success with using gradient fill symbol then having only 2 colours in the colour ramp style.  The issue I am having is that when I set the 2nd colour to "no colour"  I cannot see any data that is underneath .  I have attached an example of what symbol I am looking for. 

Thanks
Allison
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AllisonHoskin-Kain
New Contributor III
Hi All,

Well, I didn't get my triangle however I was able to produce a square in the bottom left corner!  In the symbol property editor of the polygon I went into Outline, then into the symbol property area of the outline, then into the "line properties" tab, where there is Line decorations, selected properties > Symbol and selected a square, then in the symbol property editor of the square I played with the x/y offset until I had the square at the corner of the polygon.  It did take a while as you have to go in and out of a lot of property boxes but it's a solution.  I have added a pic of what the final symbol looked like.

I hope all of  this makes sense.  If it doesn't please let me know and I will take some screen shots of the process.... 

Thanks for all of the suggestions,

Cheers
Allison

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Allison,

You may want to play with line fill symbols. It's not exactly what you are looking for, but there isn't a way to specify that a portion of a polygon by symbolized differently than the rest of it, line fills will allow for the symbology of features below to be visible.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
The following won't do corners but perhaps it will give you something you could use or a link to one:

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2007/04/17/how-to-produce-tint-bands-for-boundaries/
0 Kudos
AllisonHoskin-Kain
New Contributor III
Thanks for the ideas.  We are using line symbols now.  Shame though as the symbol looked great on the map just can't see anything under it!

Cheers
Allison
0 Kudos
AllisonHoskin-Kain
New Contributor III
Hi All,

Well, I didn't get my triangle however I was able to produce a square in the bottom left corner!  In the symbol property editor of the polygon I went into Outline, then into the symbol property area of the outline, then into the "line properties" tab, where there is Line decorations, selected properties > Symbol and selected a square, then in the symbol property editor of the square I played with the x/y offset until I had the square at the corner of the polygon.  It did take a while as you have to go in and out of a lot of property boxes but it's a solution.  I have added a pic of what the final symbol looked like.

I hope all of  this makes sense.  If it doesn't please let me know and I will take some screen shots of the process.... 

Thanks for all of the suggestions,

Cheers
Allison
0 Kudos
TrishRice
OK that's kinda cool, I learned a new trick today. 🙂  From there you should be able to get your triangle.  If there isn't already a convenient triangle shape you like then you can make one in Paint.  Use it as your Picture Marker Symbol instead of the square.
0 Kudos
CPoynter
Maybe use a python script to iterate your polygons and establish xy corner coordinates, create a point file, symbolise using rotated triangles with an offset (this will depend on size of triangle symbol). Maybe offset the whole point shapefile once you have sorted out your symbol sizing. This would require a regular grid to have triangles placed in a corner.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Craig
0 Kudos
CPoynter
Solution to problem in three easy steps.

1) Using original regular reference grid, use 'Feature to Point' tool with 'Inside' option checked to get centroid of grid cell.
2) Using 'Editor', move your points to the relevant corner of your grid.
3) Using the ESRI IGL Font22 a number of triangles are available either to use as is, or to rotate accordingly (although all four corner orientations are available) to symbolise data.

You will need to fiddle with the positioning of points and sizing of triangles to make data fit accordingly.

I found that by moving centroids by 90% relative to distance from centre to either edge and setting symbol to size 20 managed to get the desired result.

Hope this helps and reduces amount of work.

Regards,

Craig
0 Kudos