Road sign symbols not exporting correctly to .ai or .pdf

04-10-2013 11:35 AM
Northeast_IowaRC_D
New Contributor
I am trying to export a map from ArcMap to be edited in Illustrator CS5.  The attached image is an example of what the map looks like when opened in Illustrator.  Notice the difference in road sign symbols. [ATTACH=CONFIG]23388[/ATTACH]

Here is what I've tried so far to solve the issue:
Changed the dpi to 1440, 3000 etc.
Exported with the sign symbols as annotations as well as labels. 
Turned all other layers off before export
Reloaded the layers, relabeled and exported again

This has happened when exporting to both .ai, .pdf, .svg

I would appreciate any advice someone can offer.  Thank you!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Deneb,

How large is your layout? It looks like it may be larger than the page size of your default printer. If this is the case, you can set up a dummy printer which may resolve the issue.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
Northeast_IowaRC_D
New Contributor
Hi Melanie,

Thanks for the prompt response! The page layout is 11" x 17". The image above was a screen grab which may be why it looked like the page extended beyond the printer settings. 
Your response actually gave me the idea to print to a .pdf rather than export as I had been trying. Printing to a pdf worked!  The sign symbols were maintained and I am still able to make some edits when I open it in Illustrator. 
Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Deneb 

Hi Deneb,

How large is your layout? It looks like it may be larger than the page size of your default printer. If this is the case, you can set up a dummy printer which may resolve the issue.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos