Select to view content in your preferred language

Reference Table from SQL Database that is not an Enterprise Geodatabase?

Jump to solution
Monday
StefanCoe1
New Contributor II

We have an MS SQL Server Database registered as a Data Store in our Portal. The database is not an Enterprise Geodatabase. When trying to publish tables/views to Portal using ArcGIS Pro,  the only option seems to be as a hosted table. Is it possible to reference the data instead of copying it (hosted)? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Marshal
Occasional Contributor

Publishing referenced stand-alone tables by themselves is possible in ArcGIS Pro 3.3+.  In previous versions of Pro, you had to publish a geometry layer alongside the table (common workflow was to add a "dummy" layer to enable publishing the referenced table).  Both of these methods work in Enterprise 11.1 or greater, but I am not sure past that.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/whats-new-in-arcgis-pro.htm

• You can share stand-alone tables as map image layers and map services that reference registered data without having to include data layers in the map.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

@StefanCoe1 what version of Portal and Pro are you using?  I don't believe this was an option in earlier releases, but should work at 11.1 and forward.

Marshal
Occasional Contributor

Publishing referenced stand-alone tables by themselves is possible in ArcGIS Pro 3.3+.  In previous versions of Pro, you had to publish a geometry layer alongside the table (common workflow was to add a "dummy" layer to enable publishing the referenced table).  Both of these methods work in Enterprise 11.1 or greater, but I am not sure past that.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/whats-new-in-arcgis-pro.htm

• You can share stand-alone tables as map image layers and map services that reference registered data without having to include data layers in the map.
StefanCoe1
New Contributor II

Thanks- I upgraded ArcGIS Pro to 3.3 and now the option to share as a reference is available. Thank you!

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@StefanCoe1 - You can use ArcGIS Pro & Query Layers to create your map document and then publish as an ArcGIS Server Service, read more in the link below.

Query layers—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |
0 Kudos