Question about data store and registering db

01-30-2017 10:25 AM
travisslack1
New Contributor III

Hey there,

I am relatively new to portal and server and while I wait for ESRI support through email I thought i'd try to get some of my more simple questions answered.

So I have a SQL Server SDE database ~60gb in size (Portal/Server 10.4). Id like to publish some things to my server and I notice that when I do, it appears to copy the entire service file to the server which can get pretty large depending on the feature layer im publishing. 

Am I correct in thinking that If I register my SDE database with Portal that when I publish something to the server from that database it will only create a link to the DB vs copying the entire contents of the feature layer to the server? The idea is such that the Server will push live data where if I reconcile at the end of the day I don't need to update the service I published the day before.

Is this correct?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Hi Travis - great question, and an important one too. ArcGIS Server is absolutely set up to use an Enterprise Geodatabase. Your post hits on a few different topics, so I'll try to touch on the different methodologies you can deploy. First and foremost you need to register your enterprise geodatabase with ArcGIS Server. This makes AGS aware of the database and how it should connect. That said, you need to plan on how AGS connects to your database. If using windows authentication, then the account running AGS (in this case ideally a domain account) needs to be given access to the database. If you are using database accounts in your service, then database connections using those accounts (and potentially the version you with to connect to) need to be registered with AGS.

Now you mentioned Portal as well. You can publish to AGS and then register those services with Portal. Alternatively, you can federate AGS with Portal for a more seamless integration. Items published to AGS would automatically publish to Portal as well.

One more note, based on your topic title. Taking this deployment pattern one more step would be using data store as a managed database in AGS. Then in Portal, that AGS instance could be designated as a hosted server. This gives you the ability to have hosted feature services in your Portal instance.

As described above, this is our base deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise (10.5). You'll start seeing more and more of this as the year moves forward.

One word of caution when federating AGS with Portal; Portal will take over the identity management, so named users will be required.

Hope this information helps, and feel free to ask again if this missed your question.

-Adam Z

travisslack1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response. It answered a few other questions. So right now I have federated my Portal with my Server and it appears the stuff I am publishing through Server is hitting Portal which is great (though I am having some issues with the single sign on pass through auth i'm trying to work with support where it keeps prompting me for credentials and im going around in circles). The DB isn't using windows auth but I do have the sde connections from ArcCatalog which I saw in the help I could use to register...

So once the DB is registered.... 

"Taking this deployment pattern one more step would be using data store as a managed database in AGS."

Is this essentially storing the feature classes I publish to Server from ArcMap and this gets put into Data Store database on the server? Is this a link to the SDE or storing the full feature class in the data store db?

Thanks for the help!

AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Hi Travis - No problem, glad to help when I can!

The data store is for the storing hosted feature layers in Portal. This gives you the ability to edit content through Portal...if you want to be able to do that. You can also create tile caches in the data store to support base maps or 3D scenes. The data store is only accessible through Portal even though it is registered to ArcGIS Server. This also only is possible when your environment is set up as a hosted system. Here's a functionality matrix that I find helpful:

About using your portal with ArcGIS Server—Portal for ArcGIS (10.4.1) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

When publishing directly to ArcGIS Server and the content location is not registered with ArcGIS Server, it will be copied to the ArcGIS Server directory.

Let me know if you need more information.

-Adam Z

travisslack1
New Contributor III

thats great! Thanks

0 Kudos
LiangJiang1
New Contributor II

Hi Travis

Does "registering database with portal" save the need to update the service every day at last? Based upon the answers above, it should be. I just want to ensure from your hands on experience in real practice. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

If you're federating Portal and Server, you'll register the database with Server, not the Portal.  If you're registering an enterprise geodatabase as a data store and services are published using data from that geodatabase, when the data is updated, the service will be updated without the need to republish.

About registering your data with ArcGIS Server—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise