Publishing Custom Symbology from ArcGIS Pro to Portal for ArcGIS

09-08-2021 08:08 PM
DeanHowell1
Occasional Contributor III

How do I publish a custom symbology set to be able to be used in Portal for ArcGIS?

I have imported a custom system set into ArcGIS Pro and wanted to find out how to have that custom symbology set available in Portal for ArcGIS?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mdonnelly
Esri Contributor

Hi Dean,

This article may help you:

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000012539

Mark

Regards,
Mark
0 Kudos
DeanHowell1

Thanks @mdonnelly that is helpful but also a little confusing as I am not sure what step 6 is trying to say.  It indicated that you need to publish a map with the symbology but not sure what that really means. Is it that you publish a series of features, one for each symbol or just have at least one of the symbols in the map so when published the symbology is contained in the uploaded file. If you have contacts with the article author it would be great to have that clarified. 

0 Kudos
mdonnelly
Esri Contributor

Yes, my understanding is that you would include features for each custom symbol that you wanted to host. This is supported by what it says in step 7:

1. Click the Hosted folder and then click the name of the service published as a feature layer.
  2. Under Layers, click the first layer.
  3. Under Drawing Info, right-click each symbol and save to the virtual directory created on the web server.
  4. Repeat steps e and f for any additional layers.

The reliance on the hosted feature service is removed once you download the symbols and host them on a web server.

Unfortunately, I do not know who the author of this article is but if you get really stuck you can contact Esri support and they should be able to clarify any points for you.

Regards,
Mark
0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

I just learned for a colleague about this blog post. I hope you will find this helpful as well.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/use-published-2d-symbols-in-arcgis-o...

0 Kudos
DeanHowell1

Thanks @TanuHoque that is very helpful but I have also just found out that publishing to Portal 10.8.1 does not work. 

0 Kudos