Portal for ArcGIS

08-10-2011 06:24 AM
JacobDarrah1
New Contributor II
I remember reading that Portal for ArcGIS was to be released with 10.1.  I can see the Geoportal extension but I believe that is only for ArcGIS server? and that Portal for ArcGIS is for ArcGIS Online.  Any clarification?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Troy,

Portal for ArcGIS is not quite ready to be released yet, but will be coming soon.

Portal for ArcGIS

For more information and to discuss your needs and product options, please contact the Esri office near you.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
shreyesshiv
New Contributor III
What are the differences between Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Server?
Both require hardware setup
Both are used to host services.
Why should i buy ArcGIS Portal when ArcGIS Server is doing the job for me?
How different is ArcGIS Portal from ArcGIS Server?
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Portal is ArcGIS OnLine (AGOL) but on premise.  Essentially you get all the functionality of AGOL but at your site.

You might consider this if the nature of your company or data is such that it cannot be placed in a public type cloud (even if it is secure).
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Shreyes,

What are the differences between Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Server?

As Richard mentioned in his post, "Portal for ArcGIS" is basically "ArcGIS Online" - but hosted on premise on your infrastructure (i.e., on your own physical hardware or private cloud), instead of being part of Esri's cloud solution.

Portal for ArcGIS is conceptually like a content management system for your GIS data and resources. While ArcGIS Server is the product that enables you to publish and share your GIS resources as GIS web services. They are complimentary products.

Both are used to host services.

ArcGIS Server supports many different types of web services, while Portal for ArcGIS only supports tiled and feature services. By "support", I mean it can only create these types of services. You can register other types of services with Portal.

Hope this helps,
shreyesshiv
New Contributor III
Thanks Richard and Derek.
0 Kudos