Portal 10.5.1 Forward Proxy

12-01-2017 08:49 AM
SamJehle1
New Contributor III

Hello,

I was configuring a forward proxy with my Portal 10.5.1 environment and after I submitted the proxy address information, I was no longer able to log into the portal administration URL. As it turns out, there is a known issue with I found after the fact:

Error: Unable to sign in to the Portaladmin API after upgrading to Portal for ArcGIS 10.5.1 

No matter what administrator user I'm using, I am unable to login and get the "Invalid Token" or "You are not authorized to use this resource". Is it possible to remove the forward proxy information from the Portal outside of the Portaladmin API?

Thanks,

Sam

8 Replies
FrancescoGiovinazzo
New Contributor III

I have the same problem, I have tried removing the proxy settings from the catalina.config file (in old arcgis versions that was the place where to work) but without any success, the catalina file gets overwrited as soon as I restart Portal, and if I put it on read only the server does not even start

0 Kudos
FrancescoGiovinazzo
New Contributor III

Hello Sam,

I was able to fix this problem speaking with the IT guys handling the forward proxy

I asked them to update the configurations, making the proxy to forward requests directly on the local ip address and port of the server machine

After this, I was able to log into portaladmin directory and remove the forward proxy, to proceed with my other settings

Let me know if this helped you

Regards

Fra

0 Kudos
UgoFillastre
New Contributor II

Hi!

Same problem here. Is there any another solutions expose by Francesco ? I'am not able to connect as administrator to portaladmin API . I can't access to the IT guys to update proxy configurations.

Many thanks,

Ugo

0 Kudos
FrancescoGiovinazzo
New Contributor III

Hello,

check the url that is giving the error in the Portal Logs, you should see a request to the 7443 port url of the portal machine, that's where the problem is, the forward proxy does not know how to handle that request, You could try to cheat using the hosts file

Another solution that you could attempt is to do the following, on the machine where portal is installed:

1) Locate the catalina.properties in the folder "<Portal for ArcGIS installation location>\Portal\framework\runtime\tomcat\conf"

2) back it up, you never know, but note that this file will get overwritten by Portal when it starts

3) stop other ESRI products on the same machine (server, data store, ecc...), the aim is to have as fewer java.exe and javaw.exe processes as possible

4) edit the catalina file, usually at the bottom you will find the forward proxy settings

5) delete the proxy settings (should be 4 or 5 lines, remove them completely) ans save the file

6) open task manager and KILL every javasomething process you see

After a certain amount of time, Portal will see that his tomcat is not working, and it will start it again, without rewriting the file and hopefully getting rid of the forward proxy until the next reboot

If everything works as I hope, you should now be able to log into the portaladmin and remove the forward proxy

Let me know

Fra

UgoFillastre
New Contributor II

Thank for your reply,

I followed all your steps (Portal is on a single machine, another Esri solutions in another machine - all linux)

After kill every Portal java process on the machine, it seems that Portal don't restart his tomcat alone... How many times i need to wait for ?

Again, thanks a lot Francesco

0 Kudos
UgoFillastre
New Contributor II

Ok, 

I tried again, and this time I just killed one Portal Java process (i killed randomly this one 🙂 ), after 30sec he restarted sucessfully, and i was able to connect to portaladmin as admin!

You save my day Francesco . I doubt it was the cleanest process, but it works!

0 Kudos
FrancescoGiovinazzo
New Contributor III

I am very happy that my workaround helped, it was on my list of things to try if the IT option failed and I wasn't 100% sure of the outcome, ESRI should update the technical support at Error: Unable to sign in to the Portaladmin API after upgrading to Portal for ArcGIS 10.5.1 with this new info.

Have a nice day Ugo

DamianSlee2
New Contributor II

thank you worked for me, removing proxy settings from catilina.properties.   

I was getting "Migration failed. com.esri.arcgis.portal.admin.core.PortalException: java.lang.NullPointerException" while in the web page after trying to upgrade portal content.

In task manager if you Add the Command Line column, you can see exactly which java.exe process belongs to Portal, and kill that one.

0 Kudos