Popups and joined geodatabase views

Jump to solution
11-15-2022 02:18 PM
Labels (3)
AlexJohnson
New Contributor II

We have a third-party application populating  a table of manhole inspection records in a SQL Server database (but it's not our enterprise geodatabase). We would like to display this data in a webmap popup in ArcGIS Enterprise.

I've created a view of the inspection table in our geodatabase using the Create Database View tool. I can join it to our Manhole featureclass in ArcGIS Pro, symbolize it, and configure popups to display the joined fields.

However, when we publish this featureclass with the join to Portal, the webmap popups do not appear. We can symbolize on the joined data and it appears in the attribute table. Clicking for a popup just produces no response.

In the server logs I can see an error:

An invalid where clause or definition expression has been requested: "stpud.DBO.%vwManholeInspection.Comments,stpud.DBO.%vwManholeInspection.MaxCondition,stpud.DBO.%vwManholeInspection.TestBY,stpud.DBO.sManhole.FacilityID,stpud.DBO.sManhole.OBJECTID,stpud.DBO.sManhole.GlobalID,stpud.DBO.sManhole.Shape"

I suspect it's having a problem with the "%" symbol ArcGIS adds to the qualified name of the view, e.g. "%vwManholeInspection.MaxCondition".

Interestingly, if I use the webmap popup configuration tool to configure the popup, it will show the joined data in the popup preview just fine. The popup will just never display in normal use.

I've opened a support ticket with ESRI, but thought I'd post here as well to see if anyone else has run into this problem.

ArcGIS Pro 3.0.1, ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1.

GIS Architect & Environmental Engineer
Principal, Arete Systems
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlexJohnson
New Contributor II

Just wanted to post that I found a solution to this issue:

If the joined view is not registered with the geodatabase, the view name is prepended with a '%' sign when joined to a layer in ArcGIS Pro. This can be observed in the 'Layer properties->Joins' window for the joined layer. This causes the '%' sign to be in the fully-qualified field names for those fields in the joined tables, and ultimately results in popups not working for that layer in the web viewer (thought they do work in ArcGIS Pro).

Once the view is registered with the geodatbase, the '%' sign is NOT prepended to the view name when joined to a layer in the map. The '%' sign is then NOT in the fully-qualified field names for the joined table fields, and the web map popups work as expected.

Principal, Arete Systems

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AlexJohnson
New Contributor II

Just wanted to post that I found a solution to this issue:

If the joined view is not registered with the geodatabase, the view name is prepended with a '%' sign when joined to a layer in ArcGIS Pro. This can be observed in the 'Layer properties->Joins' window for the joined layer. This causes the '%' sign to be in the fully-qualified field names for those fields in the joined tables, and ultimately results in popups not working for that layer in the web viewer (thought they do work in ArcGIS Pro).

Once the view is registered with the geodatbase, the '%' sign is NOT prepended to the view name when joined to a layer in the map. The '%' sign is then NOT in the fully-qualified field names for the joined table fields, and the web map popups work as expected.

Principal, Arete Systems