Plotting two attributes

10-10-2011 10:46 AM
MattiasWå
New Contributor
Greetings,

I have two attributes that i need to plot in a special way.

My base map in this case is a map over a country, with several different provinses, the two attributes: (production values and random values from 1-4).

I want to plot this data so that every value (1-4) is represented by a dot, (each dot in a separate province). The size of the dot should depend on the value (1 smallest ??? 4 biggest), the production value should affect the color of the dot according to a color scale (white to black).

I would be very grateful for a solution to my problem.

I have been looking on various forum posts but I couldnt find a thread which solved my problem.

Thank you in advance!

///

Mattias.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TylerKiehle
New Contributor III
I assume that your feature class is provinces and it includes the two attribute fields production values and random values.

In order to symbolize according to the values of both fields you need to open the provinces layer properties and go to the Symbology tab.  Select "Multiple Attributes" and the default "Quantity by category" parameters should appear. 

Select production values as your first "Value" parameter, then choose random values as your second "Value" paramter.

Next, click on the variation by "Symbol Size" button.  A new window will appear, enter the "Value" field you want the size of the symbols to be based upon.  For this example I'll assume you want to use random values.  The default should suggest breaks based on Jenks model so in your case I assume it'll pick 4 classes (1-4).  You can play around with the settings to get the right variation in symbol size.  Once you're satisfied close that window.

Next you'll choose a color ramp from the Color Scheme bars and then right click on the Color Scheme bar and choose properties.  Set your one color at white and your two color at black.  Click OK.

Now you'll click the Add All Values button.  They should come in order beginning with your lowest value in the production values attribute and be colored accordingly.  If it doesn't work out the way you expected at first play around with it until you get what you're looking for.

Of course, a less elegant way to accomplish your goal is to use the Categories > Uniques Values, Many Fields approach.  Select production values and random values as your attribute fields.  Then, add all values and edit each combination's individual symbolology applying the graduated color and size rules manually.

If this doesn't work for you, you can try other symbology options to get across your data's message.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
MattiasWå
New Contributor
Thanks alot for your reply,

It really helped me get alot closer to what I want to accomplish.

However, one problem still remains, the coloring (white to black) is merely covering the �?�province field�?� and not the dot itself, as it is supposed to be.

I want both variabels affecting only the dots (size and color), the province fields should only determine the location of these dots (the fields should all be in a neutral color), while the dots themselves shows the relevant information (based on size and color).

I�??ve tried playing around in the symbology tab to find a way, unfortunately, without success.

Thank you in advance!

///

Mattias.
0 Kudos
TylerKiehle
New Contributor III
I think I'm not understanding what type of layers you're working with.

What type of feature is "provinces"?  Point?  Polygon?

I am assuming the attribute fields you described "production value" and "random value" are attributes of the "provinces" feature class?
0 Kudos
MattiasWå
New Contributor
The layer that I am currently working with is a "base map" of Sweden. Which is a premade map of polygons (representing Swedens multiple provinces).

To these I've connected my values (production and random value) from an excel document.

Both the dots and color appear as it should, with the exeption that the dots are not colored, the background (their respective province) is instead.

///

Mattias.
0 Kudos
TylerKiehle
New Contributor III
It sounds to me like the "dots" and provinces are somehow sharing symbology.  I'm not too familiar with the the base maps that ESRI provides and how the layers are structured, so I'm not sure I can help you figure this one out any further.  Hopefully someone else will pick up where I left off.

Good luck.
0 Kudos