Multiple Measured Grids

06-02-2011 04:35 PM
AndrewHansford
Occasional Contributor II
Good Afternoon All,

I have a Mapbook (using Data Driven Pages) project that is based on different Polygon scales.

Does anyone have a solution to have multiple Measured Grids in my layout view that could be switched on and off based on the scale that the map is at?

For Example:

Map 1 has a scale at 1:10,000, therefore the measured grid would be set to 1000 Intervals
Map 2 has a scale at 1:50:000, therefore the measured grid would be set to 5000 intervals
and so on.

Any help would be great

Many thanks

Andrew
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
AaronCole
New Contributor
Hi Andrew,

I'm currently working on a map project for the Santa Cruz County Search and Rescue team and dealing with a similar issue.  The people on the ground want UTM coords and the pilots want decimal degrees.  My initial thought was to set up the different grids to use and then export each as a graphic, then convert the graphics to a feature to have access to it in the TOC. 

Obviously this is not an ideal solution but I'm hoping it works.  I think the biggest problem is going to be the loss of dynamic labeling once converted.  I'll let you know what happens if I give it a shot.

Best,

Aaron Cole
GIS Analyst, Center for Integrated Spatial Research
University of California, Santa Cruz
0 Kudos
emmornile1
Andrew,
We make numerous map books at a variety of scales.  I would suggest creating a 5000 unit grid and a 1000 unit grid using the Cartography Tools/Data Driven Pages/Grid Index Features

Display the Grid Index Features appropriately, but set the scale dependencies for the 1000 unit grid to not display when only the 5000 unit is appropriate.  You can use the 5000 unit grid as the source for the graticule.

Here is a sample with two data frames centered on the same area.  The top image shows the 5000 unit grid, page graticule, and 1000 unit grid.  The bottom is just the 5000 unit grid.

If you needed to add a latitude/longitude or UTM graticule those could be added with a different font & offset.

Regards,

Emmor Nile
GIS Coordinator
Oregon Department of Forestry
0 Kudos
AndrewHansford
Andrew,
We make numerous map books at a variety of scales.  I would suggest creating a 5000 unit grid and a 1000 unit grid using the Cartography Tools/Data Driven Pages/Grid Index Features

Display the Grid Index Features appropriately, but set the scale dependencies for the 1000 unit grid to not display when only the 5000 unit is appropriate.  You can use the 5000 unit grid as the source for the graticule.

Here is a sample with two data frames centered on the same area.  The top image shows the 5000 unit grid, page graticule, and 1000 unit grid.  The bottom is just the 5000 unit grid.

If you needed to add a latitude/longitude or UTM graticule those could be added with a different font & offset.

Regards,

Emmor Nile
GIS Coordinator

Hi Emmor,

Thank you very much for this. But this solution isnt ideal as I require the Measured grid not a grid inside the data frame.

Cheers

Andrew
0 Kudos
AndrewHansford
Andrew,

Regards,

Emmor Nile
GIS Coordinator

Hi Emmor,

Thank you very much for this. But this solution isnt ideal as I require the Measured grid not a grid inside the data frame.

Cheers

Andrew
0 Kudos
AndrewHansford
Hi Andrew,

I'm currently working on a map project for the Santa Cruz County Search and Rescue team and dealing with a similar issue.  The people on the ground want UTM coords and the pilots want decimal degrees.  My initial thought was to set up the different grids to use and then export each as a graphic, then convert the graphics to a feature to have access to it in the TOC. 

Obviously this is not an ideal solution but I'm hoping it works.  I think the biggest problem is going to be the loss of dynamic labeling once converted.  I'll let you know what happens if I give it a shot.

Best,

Aaron Cole
GIS Analyst, Center for Integrated Spatial Research
University of California, Santa Cruz

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for this, would be great to see what your final result is.

Cheers

Andrew
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor III
Hello!  I have the same issue; I'm just jumping in to get subscribed to this thread.  Thanks!
0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning
Occasional Contributor III
I'm VERY keen to see this issue addressed, rather than just worked around, and have posted an ArcGIS Idea about it that needs votes at http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=087300000008MmJAAU

Although the idea does not mention Data Driven Pages I believe it is the people who use them will benefit the most from its implementation, and so have expanded upon what I think is needed in a Comment to that Idea.
0 Kudos