Moveable Annotations with Leader Lines

08-09-2013 05:37 AM
IsaacBoates
New Contributor
I've been playing around with annotations, trying to wrap my head around them (up until now I've just done them manually by drawing graphics on the map document).  What I usually do is label the features via the layer properties menu and then convert them to annotation.  I also choose a text symbol that has a leader line so I can move them around at will in case of conflicts.  What I have found is that if I save them "in the map", I can move them around freely and the leader line stays put on its respective feature.  I can also edit the text string of the annotation itself.

When I save to a database, however, I cannot move them around freely, and I cannot edit the text strings.  I assume this is because I'm not saving it as a feature-linked annotation feature class.  From what I understand, saving it as feature-linked will make it so if I edit properties of the feature in an edit session and then save it, the annotation should update automatically to reflect my changes.  However, the tickbox for "feature-linked" is always greyed out.  How do I save a feature-linked annotation class then?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
Issac,
Annotation stored in a database is "moveable" and editable. You need to start an edit session that is pointed to the database as the workspace, and then use the "edit Annotation" tool from the editor toolbar.
Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos
MattBull
New Contributor II
What license level are you using? Feature Linked Annotation is only available with ArcGIS Standard or Advanced.
0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
My annotation is not feature linked. I have a ArcGIS basic level license - lowest common denominator, and have used this functionality many times.
Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos