Map Legend Items hang outside of frame

Jump to solution
08-27-2012 11:57 AM
MikeWissner
New Contributor II
Hello All,

Why is it the items in my map legend are located in a way that positions them partially outside or adjacent to the legend frame?  How can the item patch/symbol placement be modified within the legend frame so that this does not occur?  And why would Esri ever allow something so obviously undesirable to be the default? (... just curious about that last one)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Leandro-Zamudio
Occasional Contributor
Hello All,

Why is it the items in my map legend are located in a way that positions them partially outside or adjacent to the legend frame?  How can the item patch/symbol placement be modified within the legend frame so that this does not occur?  And why would Esri ever allow something so obviously undesirable to be the default? (... just curious about that last one)

Hi Mike

I tested your problem and it's associated to the Legend Frame Properties. Probably you have a negative gap value for X. To check this, just go to the Legend Properties, in the Frame Tab and check the border's Gap in X and Y. With positive values you can correct the problem and give your legend more space.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Leandro-Zamudio
Occasional Contributor
Hello All,

Hi Mike

I tested your problem and it's associated to the Legend Frame Properties. Probably you have a negative gap value for X. To check this, just go to the Legend Properties, in the Frame Tab and check the border's Gap in X and Y. With positive values you can correct the problem and give your legend more space.

Good Luck
0 Kudos
MikeWissner
New Contributor II
Thanks Leandro,

That was the issue, though I had to change the gaps on both the frame and the background.  Changing just the frame gaps leaves the legend looking even more distracting (see image).  Once the frame and background gaps match, you get the desired results.

muchisimas gracias,
mike
0 Kudos