Linking Pop Up Media to local images using a UNC Path

10-29-2021 02:44 AM
PaulLandman
New Contributor II

Browsers Chrome and Edge are not displaying Graphics stored on the network drive within a portal application, and linked to the Web-app Pop-up Media section using a UNC path.

The Roads Department has a Folder on their Server location where they store Photographs of their Grit Bins.

This folder is in \\BHQFS94\environment\Roads&Transp\Photos\ and it accessible only to those members of the Roads Department, and others who have been granted access. I have also tried the process in a Public Unsecured location.

There is an ESRI layer displaying the Grit Bins which includes a link to the images displayed in this folder, however there is an issue with Chrome Accessing the Display Image. As you can see from the screen shot attached below, Internet Explorer correctly displays the Image, however Chrome does not.

Photgraph Display Error.PNG

I also tried to attach the UNC Path as a Hyperlink in the Configured Popup Link.  But this failed too.  I believe that the Hyperlink in Portal Web-app Pop-ups will NOT allow Local Files to be linked, only Web Addresses.

Does anyone know if this a known Chrome / Edge issue, is there a simple setting that needs to be checked, or is it a local IT issue with permissions?  Thanks.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MicZatorsky_AEC
Occasional Contributor III

It has been like this for a long time.  My understanding is that is this working as designed with Chrome and Edge.  That it works in IE is more of a security limitation of the older browser.

0 Kudos
PaulLandman
New Contributor II

So, to clarify, a federated Portal will NOT allow a server side photograph to be LINKED or EMBEDDED by design?

If that is the case - please can we change the design?

Or in the meanwhile, is there a workaround I might be able to use?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ChristopherPawlyszyn
Esri Contributor

To be fair the restriction exists in modern browsers, so no web application wouldn't be able to bypass the restrictions imposed by Chrome/Edge/Firefox/etc. If you want to display the photograph in the page, I would consider hosting the UNC path as a virtual directory using a web server, that way you would be able to embed the content using the web-based URL.

Another alternative that I would not recommend would be the number of extensions for Chrome that bypass this restriction. You'd have to work with your IT/Security team to vet those applications and determine if they are acceptable for your organization.

-- Chris Pawlyszyn
0 Kudos