Legend Patch Alignment

02-24-2012 05:30 AM
MattBull
New Contributor II
I am working on a series of maps, and I need the patches in the legend to be on the right hand side of the legend, and the labels on the left. I can get the patches to appear to the right on the labels, but I can't figure out how to get them to align to the right side of the legend. Right now the patches appear right next to the label and aren't lined up vertically. Can anyone tell me how to do this? I'm sure it's a simple fix, I just can't find the option anywhere in the legend properties.

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
Out of curiosity, I clicked "Right to Left Reading" on the "Legend" tab in "Legend Properties" (after placing labels to the left of the patches), and this aligned the patches on the right. Since I don't know exactly what other consequences this has, I take no further responsibility.
0 Kudos
MattBull
New Contributor II
I tried that and it does line up the patches, but then the labels aren't quite lined up on the left hand side. Basically the same problem I started with, but shifted to the other side. I converted the Legend to graphics and lined them up that way, but it will probably become a pain in the future because a lot of these maps will have to be updated regularly (I work in the oil and gas industry). There is surely an option that allows the patch to go on the right side and the label on the left, I just don't know where it is.
0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
Oops, didn't see you needed it to be justified (seems odd though - this ensures your labels and patches are as far apart as possible. I'm sure you've got your reasons, though, or following some archaic oil & gas protocol). As far as I know, converting to graphics is probably the only way to do it. Also, and not ideal by any means, if you could get away with leaving the labels at a static place on the left and the patches at a static place on the right, you could create two separate legends and just leave them there (one for labels, one for patches).
0 Kudos