Legend Not Displaying

10-12-2018 10:58 AM
MarvinBallard
New Contributor

Working with ArcGisPro and just created project which shows symbology based geocoordinates on the map.  The #legend is visible under the Contents section.  How do I #print or "publish" the map with the legend #legend not displaying showing?? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Marvin, 

I'm assuming that you are working with a layout view since you are reporting that you see the "Legend" item in the Contents pane.  I'm also assuming that you have added the legend to the layout page (Add a legend—Layouts | ArcGIS Desktop). Are you seeing the legend display on the layout view?  Could you provide a screenshot?

If you've added a legend to the layout and legend items are not drawing there may be a legitimate reason for this. The data source of your geocoordinates layer may not support a legend. What is the source of your layer?

Another reason legend items might not draw is that there are no features visible in the map and the Only show features visible in the map extent is checked on for this particular legend item (layer). For more information see Work with a legend item—Layouts | ArcGIS Desktop. Legend items are members of the legend. You can find them listed in the Contents pane underneath "Legend". 

Of course, there could also be a bug with the software. We would need more information (steps and data in order to reproduce the issue) to make that determination.

Hope this helps,

Tom

PS - In case you are unsure about Printing or Publishing your map I've have a few links below that you might find informative.

Print a map or layout—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop

Share a web map—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

FAQ: Is it possible to print a web map directly from the ArcGIS Online map viewer as a PDF? 

How To: Print a web map with a legend in a Basic Viewer app 

0 Kudos
Ming
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi @TomBole, just found a new reason that caused the legend stop showing up, FYI.

The layer data source is Oracle geodatabase, but the user account is locked on Oracle side, so the map can list data in attribute table, but refuse to show the legend on map.

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ming, 

Thanks for the information, however, I'm not familiar with Oracle database locking. I wouldn't even know where to begin troubleshooting this.  Can you contact Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Thanks, 

Tom

0 Kudos
Ming
by
Occasional Contributor

Thank you @TomBole for your response. This morning I got legend not displaying problem, then did some research and found this post. Tried all the suggestions that you listed, but later I figured out that for my case it is caused by Oracle account locked, after unlocked the account my problem is solved . So just post my experience here and for reference to others just in case who will get stuck in same problem.

TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Ming, 

Thanks for the clarification. And thanks for your contribution to the forum. I'm sure your experience will help someone else.

Tom

0 Kudos