Is there a way to customize data driven pages to make pages of different heights and widths?

02-19-2015 12:39 PM
ScottLouque
New Contributor III

I am trying to create a mapbook with dds but I want my pages to be of different sizes

ie some portrait and some landscape.

Is this possible or do I have to do it manually?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

You would have to create different mxds for each difference in page size and orientation. Once you have that you could export pdfs from each and then use python to combine the pdfs into a single mulit-page pdf. I'm pretty sure there are examples of the python needed to do that. But you still have to manually author each variation in page size and orientation.

0 Kudos
ScottLouque
New Contributor III

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ScottLouque
New Contributor III

Also is there a way to display attributes from a table in the layout of my map?

I want to display the street names of the streets on each data driven page. I read that you can go to Insert -> Dynamic Text -> Page Name and then double click on the element to get to <dyn type="page" property="name"/> and just change name to what you want to display but that is not pointing to the table where my street names are stored. Is there a way to redirect the path of this tag?

0 Kudos
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

I don't know where you read that. It might prove useful to read the ArcGIS help topics about dynamic text and data driven pages. Anything not covered there will likely require some other solution, such as python.

0 Kudos
ScottLouque
New Contributor III

That's where I read that line of code from. Maybe I just interpreted it in a different way than what it actually meant. Maybe the only way to do what I am thinking might be python.

Thanks for the replies

0 Kudos
LisaTurner
Occasional Contributor II

Hey Scott,

Here is another thread discussing data driven pages that might have useful links for you. Generate several maps automatically  I believe what you are trying to do is add labels, and that might be as easy as bringing up the properties window, going to the Label tab, and filling in the tab with what you want.

0 Kudos