Is it possible to install and configure Portal for ArcGIS on a standalone virtual machine?

12-15-2017 09:53 AM
JonathanBailey
Occasional Contributor III

For a demo, I'm trying to set up a base deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1 on a standalone virtual machine using the ArcGIS Enterprise Builder. The ArcGIS Enterprise Builder configuration failed when configuring the web adaptor for the portal. Through trial-and-error, I've been able to successfully configure the ArcGIS Server instance and its web adaptor, including SSL via a self-signed certificate.

However, I'm still experiencing problems getting the Portal configured. For one, I can't figure out how to properly configure the Portal to work with a self-signed certificate. Most importantly, however, I'm not having success configuring the Web Adaptor to work with the Portal. When I try to configure the Web Adaptor to work with the Portal, I'm just specifying the machine name (i.e., http://<machine-name>:7443), since it's not on a domain, but I get an error indicating that I need to specify a fully-qualified domain name for the Portal. Then, I came across this part of the installation documentation, which seems to suggest that the portal needs be on a domain. So, is it even possible to configure portal to work on a machine not connected to a domain?

0 Kudos
21 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Do you see two folders under the logs directory? You may need to reach out to Tech Support. At some point it may make more sense to work directly with someone instead of going through Geonet, as this may be a complicated problem.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

So something else you may want to try is uninstall everything and then set an entry in the etc\hosts file so that the IP address of the machine resolves to "abcd-efg-hijk.local".  When you install everything, all components will know their machine names by the name you set in the etc\hosts file.  You seem to have a mix of short names and a couple "fully qualified domain names", (.local and .localdomain), so perhaps that'll get everything on the same page.

0 Kudos