Is it possible to assign a group to another group? (rather than individual users)

04-23-2021 09:44 AM
AlejandroMari1
Occasional Contributor

Hello! Is it possible to assign a group to another group in Portal? Has this been considered if not?

The use case is as follows:

I have different groups of people (like Engineering, Accounting, etc.). I'd like to have one Portal group for each of these group of people.

I also have different apps, so I would like to have different Portal groups to grant access to these apps (App 1 Group, App 2 Group, etc.)

It would be great if I could assign the groups of people directly to the app group. This will make assigning permissions to apps and adding new members considerably more straightforward.

Note: I don't want to assign the members of one group to another (this is already possible), but the group itself. So if I add a new member to the people's group then those automatically have access.

Thanks!

Alejandro

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

I may not be understanding exactly what you are asking, but I am going to give it a go!  If you want to share App 1 with groups A-C and then share App 2 with groups C-F you can do that currently by sharing the application to multiple groups.  This way only the people in their respective groups would have access to the specific application.

0 Kudos
AlejandroMari1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply! What you suggest works, the problem is that my apps contain multiple Portal Items (each app has multiple Web Maps and Web Scenes). So not only I need to share each app item with the groups, but all these other items that are part of the app as well.

If I could assign a group to another group, then I could:

- Share all the app components with a single group (Say App 1 Group)

- Make the Engineering group a member of "App 1 Group".

This way I don't need to share each of the app's components with the Engineering group (or other people's groups).

This is similar to Active Directory, where you can assign a group as a member of another group.

0 Kudos
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

Ah I did miss something, but I completely understand now!  Currently, no it's not possible to have groups within groups, but I do sympathize with you on having to share every item again and again not being a good workflow.  If you haven't already, I would suggest that in the ArcGIS Enterprise Ideas

0 Kudos
AlejandroMari1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you! I will post it to ideas then!

0 Kudos
AlejandroMari1
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos