Installing Data Store for Portal for ArcGIS

02-26-2015 08:18 AM
StephenKing
New Contributor III

Hi All,

I'm having some problems installing data store for Portal for ArcGIS. When I try to configure data store with my ArcGIS Server site I get the following error message:

Could not connect to server on machine 'arcgis'. ArcGIS Data Store or ArcGIS Server on that machine may not be running or the machine is not reachable at this time.

When I look at Services on the Windows server, I can see that ArcGIS Data Store is running and I know that ArcGIS Server is running. However, if I go to https://localhost:2443/arcgis/datastore/ I get the following message in the browser:

{

"error" : {

"code" : 403,

"message" : "Unable to process this request.",

"details" : null

}

}

It seems as though Data Store cannot be accessed on this port. I do have port 2443 and 9876 open in windows firewall, but not sure whether it should be TCP or UDP - have tried both. I'm stuck with this one, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

8 Replies
MichaelGinzburg
Occasional Contributor II

Do you run the ArcGIS Data Store service using account with sufficient permissions?

See also: Tasks to perform after you create a data store—Installation Guides | ArcGIS for Server

0 Kudos
StephenKing
New Contributor III

I've set it to run using the same domain account as ArcGIS Server, it didn't seem to make a difference.

0 Kudos
MichaelGinzburg

It may be HTTP Error 403 "Forbidden":

HTTP 403 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A plenty of reasons can cause 403: folder permission, IIS app. pool identity, IIS SSL certificate and more.

You can also check IIS log for more detailed info:

The HTTP status code in IIS 7.0, IIS 7.5, and IIS 8.0

0 Kudos
StephenKing
New Contributor III

Michael,

Thanks for your further pointers, unfortunately I am still having problems with this. I have successfully run the installation of DataStore and I have set the domain user to run the service and set all required permissions on the folders. In ArcGIS Server Manager, ArcGIS_Data_Store [Managed] is visible but on validating, a red exclamation mark appears next to it. In Portal, I cannot upload data and hosted services do not work. Validation of DataStore through the REST endpoint in ArcGIS Server Administrator seems to work OK. Stuck on this one at the moment.

One possible issue that I can see is that I get a mismatch error for SSL when accessing https://xxx.xxx:2443/arcgis/datastore - I don't know how to change the SSL certificate that DataStore uses.

0 Kudos
KubaSzostak1
New Contributor III

I have ArcGIS Server 10.5.1 + ArcGIS Data Store. Validating data stores in ArcGIS Server manager caused no issue for Tile Cache (ArcGIS_Data_Store) and caused red exclamation mark for Managed database (ArcGIS_Data_Store). It was strange because both of them was located on the same Data Store.

I checked AGS logs and there was information about missing host in pg_hba.conf file:

So I added line

host all all fe80::70f5:34f2:f9b5:1d78/96 md5

to my pg_hba.conf file located in E:\arcgisdatastore\pgdata folder.

Maybe this helps someone.

0 Kudos
MichaelGinzburg

IMO all HTTPS calls use the same certificate.

It is configured at IIS.

Here's ESRI instructions for configuring HTTPS.

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

What type of SSL mismatch error do you have?

0 Kudos
StephenKing
New Contributor III

For ArcGIS for Server you also need to import the SSL certificate if you want use ArcGIS Server with the web adaptor. Enabling SSL on ArcGIS Server when accessed through ArcGIS Web Adaptor—Installation Guides | ArcGIS ...

I've been reading around using enterprise databases with ArcGIS for Server and have read that the Workgroup licence for Server only supports MS SQL Server Express - so does this mean that Postgres (and by association data store) will not work with this licence?

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

Late to this one but:

I believe the Workgroup license for Server only supports running Data Store on same machine as Server.

Ditto for Portal I think.