How to unfederate a server which was left federated before uninstalling Portal?

06-19-2018 12:07 AM
deleted-user-78LoOqdsdZnJ
New Contributor

After portal got corrupted on HA, I uninstalled and reinstalled on both the machines. Portal URL was accessible and working fine. When I tried federating a server to this portal it threw a message 'ArcGIS Server is already a federated server'. Due to corruption of portal I could not access Portal admin URL and could not unfederate this server before uninstalling portal. Now, when I want to federate this server with freshly installed Portal it is showing that it is already federated. How to unfederate this server?

Please provide your suggestions/ideas.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

In the Admin API of the Server, under security > config, click Update and set the Authentication Tier to GIS_SERVER from ARCGIS_PORTAL. That does the same thing that unfederating when all components are accessible would do.

deleted-user-78LoOqdsdZnJ
New Contributor

I already did that. It gives the error 'Servlet execution threw an exception'. It gives this error on performing any task in Admin URL. 

0 Kudos
WarrenMedernach
Occasional Contributor III

Hey @JonathanQuinn ,

I am experiencing a similar issue right now after this restore we've completed, and when I attempt to set the Authentication tier in the server admin it errors out with:

Failed to update the security configuration. Error encountered while changing the server role. Server machine 'https://<FQDN>:6443/arcgis/admin/' returned an error. 'Unauthorized access. Token not found. You can generate a token using the 'generateToken' operation.'

Have you seen that before?

0 Kudos
AYUSHYADAV
New Contributor III

Hi @WarrenMedernach ,

I have faced a similar issue and resolved it by performing below steps:-

1. Stop the ArcGIS Server service.

2. Navigate to config-store>>security folder

3. Take a backup of the file security-config.json

4. Open security-config.json file and replace the contents of the file with below contents:-

{
"securityEnabled": true,
"authenticationMode": "ARCGIS_TOKEN",
"authenticationTier": "GIS_SERVER",
"userStoreConfig": {
"type": "BUILTIN",
"properties": {}
},
"roleStoreConfig": {
"type": "BUILTIN",
"properties": {}
},
"sslEnabled": true,
"HSTSEnabled": false,
"httpsProtocols": "TLSv1.2",
"cipherSuites": "TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384, TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA384, TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA, TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384, TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256, TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA, TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256, TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256, TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA, TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256, TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256, TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA",
"httpEnabled": false,
"virtualDirsSecurityEnabled": true,
"allowDirectAccess": true,
"serverRole": "STANDALONE_SERVER"
}

5. Start the ArcGIS Server service

6. Now the ArcGIS server becomes a standalone server and you are good to federate it again.

0 Kudos