How to modify/create the shape of callout text?

05-08-2013 11:29 AM
WinnieLau
New Contributor III
I want to use a callout text on my map but the callout background has only 2 options:  rectangular or rounded rectangular.  I want some other shapes such as oval.  How can I create a new callout with oval shape?

Any inputs are welcome!
Thanks!

Winnie
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
For call out those are the two options. You can change the leader tolerance and the margin around it text.

IF you just want to use a different symbol you can use a symbol but not with the call out balloon

I want to use a callout text on my map but the callout background has only 2 options:  rectangular or rounded rectangular.  I want some other shapes such as oval.  How can I create a new callout with oval shape?

Any inputs are welcome!
Thanks!

Winnie
0 Kudos
WinnieLau
New Contributor III
Is there any scripts (Python) available handy to create/modify the callout shape?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
WilliamMortimer
New Contributor III
There are actually 4 types of call-outs. (Balloon, Line, Marker text, and Simple Line).
You get to these via the following:
Add your default call-out.
Select it. Then:
Properties > Change Symbol > Properties.
You should be in the 'editor' dialog box now.
Click the 'advanced text' tab > Then Properties tab (of Text background).

After that you have the Callout type & properties... use the drop down at the top to select what ever you need.
To get an oval shape I would create an oval shape using a marker symbol . Then select it via the marker text 'symbol' option.

Hope this helps.
William.