How to hide labels under transparent polygon layers

12-02-2013 01:00 AM
DavidBjörlin
New Contributor II
Hello,

This is probably a rediculous and simple question but I don´t seem to find an answer though browsing through forums and help-pages:

My problem is that my labels (for example contour labels) don´t respond to the transparency of the polygon layers above the labeled layer.
I attach a snapshot to explain better.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29477[/ATTACH]

The contour lines are nicely just visible below my yellow and green coloured polygon layers set with a 10% transparency, BUT the coutour labels are clearly visible just as if they were above my polygon layers. How do I get them to have the same visibility as the contour lines?

I use ArcGIS for desktop Basic v. 10.2 (with maplex)

Thank you!
/David
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III
David,

There is no option in ArcGIS for Desktop to set transparency for Label. However you can convert labels to annotation and set transparency for the annotation.
0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
David,

I am not aware of any transparency for labels, I think the only option you have is to change the colour of your label

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III
You can promote (Add the ability to control Label transparency without transform it to annotations) in ArcGISIdea.
0 Kudos
DavidBjörlin
New Contributor II
Hi guys and thanks for your replies.

I see, but I do not want to make my labels transparent. I just want them to go underneath my yellow & green transparent polygon layers - just like the contour lines the labels are attached to. Outside the Y/G polygons I want the labels to look ordinary. I´ll attach another picture which shows better what I mean.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29518[/ATTACH]

Why don´t the labels go underneath the yellow and green polygon layers like the contour lines do?

/David
0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
David,

If you create an annotation feature class you will be able to reorder your annotation as you please:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//01m70000004w000000

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
DavidBjörlin
New Contributor II
Ok. I´ll just have to do that then.
Downside with converting from labels to annotations though is that I loose scalability and connection to the features. This since I only have Desktop Basic and can´t make the annotations feature-linked. But I guess that´s up to me to and my economy, when to upgrade to Standard or not.

Thanks though!

/David
0 Kudos