Hosted Service published using ArcGIS Portal Vs Feature Services Published using ArcGIS Server

Jump to solution
12-02-2016 11:03 AM
shafitrumboo
New Contributor III

I don't have access to ArcGIS Server 10.3 or latest. So when Hosted services published using ArcGIS Portal is done, I assume it creates service on ArcGIS server in hosted folder. 

Questions:

Is it same like other services that we publish using ArcGIS server, (Process model, Memory consumption )

Request to these Hosted services is processed at ArcGIS server or portal level

Can I change the properties of these hosted services in service editor of ArcGIS server

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Shafi,

> ... when Hosted services published using ArcGIS Portal is done, I assume it creates service on ArcGIS server in hosted folder. 

Yes, when you publish a hosted feature service to Portal for ArcGIS configured with a hosting server (e.g., Web GIS in your own infrastructure deployment), the feature service is in the hosted folder of the GIS Server and the data is stored in the ArcGIS Data Store.

Q1. Is it same like other services that we publish using ArcGIS server, (Process model, Memory consumption )

A1. Hosted feature services are conceptually the same as feature services published directly to the GIS Server, but behind the scenes their technical implementation details are slightly different. But we work with both feature service "types" the same and they have the same functionality.

Q2. Request to these Hosted services is processed at ArcGIS server or portal level

A2. For hosted feature services, a request would go to Portal first (e.g., to the feature layer), then submitted to the GIS Server (e.g., to the hosted feature service).

Q3. Can I change the properties of these hosted services in service editor of ArcGIS server

A3. It may be technically possible to change the properties of a hosted feature service in ArcGIS Server Manager, but NOT recommended. Hosted feature services are meant to be managed internally with the ArcGIS software.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Shafi,

> ... when Hosted services published using ArcGIS Portal is done, I assume it creates service on ArcGIS server in hosted folder. 

Yes, when you publish a hosted feature service to Portal for ArcGIS configured with a hosting server (e.g., Web GIS in your own infrastructure deployment), the feature service is in the hosted folder of the GIS Server and the data is stored in the ArcGIS Data Store.

Q1. Is it same like other services that we publish using ArcGIS server, (Process model, Memory consumption )

A1. Hosted feature services are conceptually the same as feature services published directly to the GIS Server, but behind the scenes their technical implementation details are slightly different. But we work with both feature service "types" the same and they have the same functionality.

Q2. Request to these Hosted services is processed at ArcGIS server or portal level

A2. For hosted feature services, a request would go to Portal first (e.g., to the feature layer), then submitted to the GIS Server (e.g., to the hosted feature service).

Q3. Can I change the properties of these hosted services in service editor of ArcGIS server

A3. It may be technically possible to change the properties of a hosted feature service in ArcGIS Server Manager, but NOT recommended. Hosted feature services are meant to be managed internally with the ArcGIS software.

Hope this helps,

shafitrumboo
New Contributor III

Hi Derek

Millions of thumbsUp! to you....

Though Yesterday I got some wonderfull read about this.

Regards

Shafi

0 Kudos