Features not drawing when using full rest service URL

Jump to solution
01-26-2021 05:57 AM
Labels (1)
HeatherScroggins
Occasional Contributor II

My team and I have run into an issue where all the features of a service won't draw when using the full rest service of a map service.

When I say full rest service I mean something like this: .../services/AdministrativeAreas/Home_Owners_Association/MapServer/0   (<-with the number at the end)

When using the top tier rest service (.../services/AdministrativeAreas/Home_Owners_Association/MapServer) things draw perfectly fine but you get that weird grouping in the Table of Contents that is highly annoying.

HeatherScroggins_0-1611669094345.png

To avoid that issue we use the full rest service (with the number at the end) because it doesn't do that. But we have run into the issue of features not drawing.

And this isn't just one service. It is almost all of them that we can see and not all of them have a ton of features. Like the homeowners associations for example only has 83 features and yet it still won't draw all of them with the full rest service.

This is only happening with the map service. Both the top tier and full rest service of feature services work fine. This is also only a Portal issue. We have not seen this issue in ArcGIS Online.

Has anyone else seen this issue and know what is happening?

We are using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HeatherScroggins

After working with ESRI customer service we discovered that it is a known issue with ArcGIS Server 10.7.1. 

A patch is available here: https://support.esri.com/en/download/7756

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is the layer public? If you provide the URL, others can try to replicate your issue to see what's going on.

Personally, I haven't had any issues adding the specific layer from a Map Service like that, but I suspect it may have something to do with the default symbology of the layer.

When you add a single layer of a Map Service to a web map, it treats the new layer as a Feature service, and does not apply any advanced symbology / labeling from the Map Service, instead downgrading symbols and labels as it can. It may be having trouble converting the symbology to something compatible with a Feature layer.

Hard to say without looking at it, though.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
HeatherScroggins

Unfortunately the layer is not public.

The symbology and labeling is something to consider though. The layer when published had a transparency on it and was labeled. Maybe I'll try republishing it without the transparency and with no labels and see how that goes.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I'd also check the layer that's "not drawing" to make sure that they aren't just transparent or scale-limited in an unexpected way.

See if you can open the attribute table for the layer, that can tell you if the data itself is being loaded or not. Then try selecting a feature from the table to see if anything highlights on the map.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
HeatherScroggins

The features are in the attribute table. When looking at the same HOA layer as before there are 83 features in the table as there should be and when I select one that isn't drawn, you can see it selected on the map.

HeatherScroggins_0-1611678222196.png

And republishing the layer with simple symbology and no labels didn't help so that is not the issue unfortunately. That would have been a somewhat easy fix.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Very strange, and starting to sound like another issue I've had in the past. Can you open it in Map Viewer Beta, if you have it available? I have a couple layers that absolutely refuse to render in a JS 3.x web map, but then they show up just fine on the JS 4.x viewers.

Unfortunately, even if they render on the other map viewer, I'm out of guesses as to why this sort of thing happens from time to time.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
HeatherScroggins

After working with ESRI customer service we discovered that it is a known issue with ArcGIS Server 10.7.1. 

A patch is available here: https://support.esri.com/en/download/7756

0 Kudos
RiccardoKlinger
Occasional Contributor

What is interesting though:
I am using a REST URL and the basic 4.14 JS API shipped with my portal 10.9.1 and there are features excluded from drawing:

cirecles-crop.gif

0 Kudos