Error Adding Secure Services (Storing Credentials) 10.3

Jump to solution
10-14-2015 07:44 AM
ThomasSchultz
New Contributor III

Whenever I tried to add a secure service to Portal for ArcGIS as a new item, I get an error message.  The message will vary depending on what type of service it is, but for ESRI's routing service, for example, I get "Error Generating Token".  I've also tried to create a helper service proxy item according to the instructions:  Add premium helper services—Portal for ArcGIS (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server, but this yields the same result.  All of the services I am trying to add can be added to ArcGIS Desktop without problem, so I've been focusing on the forward proxy settings for Portal.  I have configured Portal for our forward proxy according to the instructions I could find, but I am not sure if it is working.  I have a support ticket open with ESRI, but I am wondering if anyone else has successfully overcome this kind of issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasSchultz
New Contributor III

After upgrading to Portal for ArcGIS 10.4, this problem has gone away.  I think the solution involved two things.  First, our forward proxy does cause issues when trying to store credentials.  I never go the proxy config settings to work correctly, but for now, whitelisting the sites has solved that problem.  Second, even this only worked after upgrading to 10.4, so I have to assume that there was a bug in version 10.3 causing a problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VHolubec
Esri Regular Contributor

Dear Thomas,

have you found with Esri support some solution?

Thank you for reply.

Vladimir

Vladimir
0 Kudos
ThomasSchultz
New Contributor III

I am actually still working with ESRI on this issue.  Still assuming it is being caused by our forward proxy, but have not found a solution either with ESRI or our Security group in IT.

0 Kudos
ThomasSchultz
New Contributor III

After upgrading to Portal for ArcGIS 10.4, this problem has gone away.  I think the solution involved two things.  First, our forward proxy does cause issues when trying to store credentials.  I never go the proxy config settings to work correctly, but for now, whitelisting the sites has solved that problem.  Second, even this only worked after upgrading to 10.4, so I have to assume that there was a bug in version 10.3 causing a problem.

0 Kudos
MichaelKelly
Occasional Contributor III

You may also need to add your server certs to portal so they are trusted:

Configuring the portal to trust certificates from your certifying authority—Portal for ArcGIS (10.4.... 

Make sure you restart portal and clear your existing browser data.

0 Kudos