Select to view content in your preferred language

Custom Parameters when Adding a WebService to a Map Viewer

01-19-2023 11:21 AM
AdamRepsher_BentEar
Occasional Contributor

Hello All,

When setting up a Map Viewer, using the Add a Web Service tool, You can add Custom Parameters.

AdamRepsher_BentEar_0-1674153582689.png

The only information I can find on this feature is HERE.  Starting at step 4.  There is no other reference to what type of queries that will work here.

It is quite frustrating because there is no information on how to set up the Parameter or the Value.  It is not the same as just configuring a query in a service's ArcGIS REST Services Directory page.  For example, I fell into a discovery that you need a '/' AFTER the layer number (..../rest/services/folder/service_name/0/) when you enter the URL to get the custom parameter to work.

After that, it has been trial and error to figure out what will work here.  I have used this to limit the timespan like this:
Parameter: where 
Value: clock >= CURRENT_TIMESTAMP - INTERVAL '10' MINUTE 

Right now, I am trying to figure out how to return features within an envelope that I define.
geometry=-8415875.889,4309499.194,-8403034.469,4330137.192&geometryType=esriGeometryEnvelope&inSR=3857&spatialRel=esriSpatialRelIntersects

• Do all of these types of queries work within the Custom Parameter layer settings in the new Map Viewer?
  • If so, where do we go to get help with configuring the parameter and value?

Thanks,

--Adam

13 Replies
Becca_
by
New Contributor II

We're currently on 10.9.1. but hoping to upgrade later this year.

0 Kudos
AdamRepsher_BentEar
Occasional Contributor

Okay.  I have been using this feature for some time in 10.9.1 and it is working well.  Unless a user gets into one of the Web Maps and knows how to find the "Add Parameter" setting for an individual layer, there is no other easy way for anyone to change it...  and that is almost impossible for one of my normal users to accomplish.

I wonder if you are talking about adding parameters to the link that you are supplying to someone when you want them to open an app?  Like here:  Use URL parameters to create and modify maps—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation  In this case, the user would easily be able to remove parameters before browsing to a Web Map.  In what I am doing, the user would have to go to the Web Map and then change the properties within any layers that I had set parameters for.

I apologize if I am incorrect in that assumption.  I just want to make sure that we are talking about the same thing.

--Adam

0 Kudos
AshleyGahl
New Contributor III

Hey, just to get the scope and context of your question are we talking about map services in a federated environment or standalone. If federated than the map services are by default listed in your portal, if not then you'll have to add them yourself to portal as items. We had a request a month ago where we had to display layers in experience builder but not listed in the layer list. We got it to work, so I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing.

0 Kudos
AdamRepsher_BentEar
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ashley,

Yes.  I believe we are talking about the same thing.
I do understand the difference between services from a federated ArcGIS Server and those in a non-federated AGS.
You should be able to add either to a Web Map and then add parameters to either layer.

The difference in what you are doing and what I am doing is in "hiding the layer" from the layer list in the application.  I was not attempting to do that - and am wondering how you accomplished that.

0 Kudos