Changing Representation Properties

05-03-2013 10:18 AM
LindsayShort
New Contributor II
I've set a feature class representation with a rotation on the marker and I'm looking to remove the rotation, but all the properties are greyed out.  I've had this happen before and managed to make it editable, but today I've tried every combination of new MXD, existing MXD, editing, going through ArcCatalog and nothing seems to be unlocking these properties for me.  Can anyone suggest what I might try? 

I'm using 10.1 if it is of consequence.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Can you show some snapshots of where you are trying to do this.

I've set a feature class representation with a rotation on the marker and I'm looking to remove the rotation, but all the properties are greyed out.  I've had this happen before and managed to make it editable, but today I've tried every combination of new MXD, existing MXD, editing, going through ArcCatalog and nothing seems to be unlocking these properties for me.  Can anyone suggest what I might try? 

I'm using 10.1 if it is of consequence.
0 Kudos
LindsayShort
New Contributor II
I'm trying mainly in the Layer Properties in ArcMap.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24012[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Oh I don't think you can change representations. You may have to alter the original symbol to suit and re-represent.

Why are you using representation?

I'm trying mainly in the Layer Properties in ArcMap.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24012[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
LindsayShort
New Contributor II
I added the rotation to the markers after creating all the representations (along with changing the display size), so I know it's possible to do, it's just not cooperating today.  I'm using representations because as much as Esri has thousands of symbols, they don't have ones to fit the needs of my project--namely representing specific wind, weather, and wave features in marine areas.  As far as I've found there are no international standards or even commonly used symbols for these events.
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Yea I really have not gotten into the representation. I have created a lot of symbols by combining fonts in curious ways.

I don't know how the forum will handle it but I attached an Excel sheet that I made some years ago that can be printed out on 11 x 17 paper that contains all the built in ESRI fonts.

I printed it out years ago and it has helped a lot to find individual markers. 

Well i was all the current fonts as of about 7 years ago. 

I added the rotation to the markers after creating all the representations (along with changing the display size), so I know it's possible to do, it's just not cooperating today.  I'm using representations because as much as Esri has thousands of symbols, they don't have ones to fit the needs of my project--namely representing specific wind, weather, and wave features in marine areas.  As far as I've found there are no international standards or even commonly used symbols for these events.
0 Kudos