Cannot paste annotation

06-14-2012 05:44 AM
JamesHarrington
New Contributor III
I'm trying to copy and paste text annotation elements in ArcView, dataview. I have the correct annotation class selected and turned on. it is set to show at all scales. I select an element, copy it, and when I paste it, nothing happens. I've tired to do this with other annotation classes and paste doesn't work with any of them. Any ideas as to why this is hppening? It is a function I use quite frequently and never had this problem before...
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
Just to be certain, they aren't just pasting on top of each other, are they? That's what happens for me and then I need to manually move them in order to see that there is a new copy. It might worth a try adding it to a new MXD and test it there. MXDs can become corrupt from time to time.
0 Kudos
LaurenYee
Occasional Contributor
Are you copy/pasting in an edit session?
Is your annotation saved in a geodatabase or within the map?

If it's saved within the map, I've encountered issues with multiple annotation classes, and not selecting the correct one in the draw toolbar.
0 Kudos
JamesHarrington
New Contributor III
Thanks everyone -
to clarify, no,the elements are not stacked on top of one another. I've tried it in/out of edit sessions, in data view and in layout view with layout elements. I tried in a variety of map files. I simply cannot paste any elements! for some reason this feature is totally disabled within Arcveiw - I can paste the text from one element into an existing element, but no element (text box, marker, etc) of any kind.
0 Kudos
John_EdwardScott
New Contributor II
one simple mistake that always catches me when editing anno, moreso thgan other types of data:
you cannot copy and paste any data elements within the Layout view, you have to toggle into the Data view, copy & paste, then back again
EricHicks
New Contributor
I encountered the same problem with copy pasting annotations this morning.  For me the problem was caused when I changed the projection  of the Data Frame and then tried to copy paste annotation of a different projection than the Data Frame.  To solve this I simply removed the annotation group and set up a new one for the correct projection and was able to copy paste again.
0 Kudos
MikeO_Shell1
New Contributor II

I found a fix.  I too right click, copy, then right-click and the paste option is not there.  But for some reason I can Ctrl P and Ctrl V and it works, and I# can even right-click, copy and Ctrl V and it works.  I'm thinking this is a glitch.

0 Kudos